• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Wheels And Tires

182kartracer

Not really a question or anything. i just wanted to mention that i will be taking my 2002 autocrossing/dragcrossing for its first time this October 4/5. In preparation for it i am looking at getting some new tires and wheels. The wheels i have been given are 13x7 OZs that i have to bore out to 57.1mm but i have access to a shop so no problem.  The tires are going to be Federal 595s 185/60-13 that are on sale for under 40 bucks a piece. They seem like decent tires and are better than the Snows i have on now. I will keep my snows on my turbines for the winter but the OZ and Federal combo will be my track day and summer set. I will post an update after i get it all sorted and after the race weekend. Wish me luck!

wheels: http://www.ozracing.com/motorsport/formula_student.aspx

tires: https://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/federal/185%252F60-13+federal+ss-595+80h.html#reviews

post-43476-0-02484700-1410447252_thumb.j

Go Boilermakers!

I'd check tire fitment guides for a 185 tire--a 7 inch rim seems pretty wide for that width tire.  Too wide a rim means that the tread won't lay flat on the ground as the sidewalls are stretched to mate with the rims.  I also suspect you may have to roll your fenders to accomodate a rim that wide--that will also depend on the wheel's offset.  

And...you're not really driving your '02 in the snow (and Pennsylvania salt) are you?  It only took two Ohio winters before my new '69 started to get rust blisters along the front fenders' trailing edges...If you're bound and determined to drive it in the salt, check archives for where and how to rustproof your car so it won't end up like Swiss cheese in a few years.  After 30 Ohio winters, I spent six years on and off welding up the rust on mine--everything but the roof needed some new metal...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

A short tire is ok because it's for autocross. In terms of the winter deal I won't drive it a lot cause I'm at college and will only need it occasionally for grocery runs. Also I don't plan on having it as a daily in 2 years. I will have a second car by then. I'm okay with a little rust now.

Go Boilermakers!

jrkoupe I'm curious as to how it would affect the gearing?  Will it make it go from say a 3.53 to a 4.10?  Just out of curiosity if you reduce the outside diameter which way will the ratio go?

The diff ratio will not change. The effective final ratio will go up with a shorter tire.

2xM3

• 4 weeks later...