• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Tire Size/type For Stock 75 2002

scoopyg

Hello again fellow BMW chaps,

I've had some time with the car last night and today, and after several washings and some Meguire's cleaner/wax, the paint is actually looking pretty good. I got a chance to clean out the engine compartment as well, now that Minnie and Mickey have moved out.

Regarding the turbo: my gut feeling is telling me to scrap the turbo and return the car to a more stock set-up. Basically I know nothing about turbos, and after reading Hal's article on the thing, and cda951's post, it seems I'd be in over my head trying to get a 35-year-old turbo (which is 18 years dormant) to function properly. I envision a moment of anger where I'm chucking the GD turbo across the driveway as my wife looks out the back door wondering what all the commotion is.

SO! Considering that Hal removed all the emission control stuff, what would a good approach be? Is the intake manifold on this car a stock unit which I could bolt a carb onto, or is it some stepchild I'd ditch and get a Weber kit with manifold? I know the exhaust manifold is the aftermarket one that came with the turbo (which will come off), and I assume that somewhere in that garage Hal has the original manifold, but is their another way to do the exhaust manifold? Header? I like extra horsepower as well as the next guy, but simplicity is what I'm looking for (after all, it IS a vintage car). If the car runs good and looks good and gives that mostly original vintage feel, that's my thing. I'm not a purist, and don't care about any type of Concours de Elegance. Just want to cruise it. Not the worst approach to a vintage car, I hope you'd agree.

Thanks as always to all who have offered the expertise, it really helps. Rich in Columbus

PS...found the bota bag in the trunk of the car. Should remind some of you guys of a certain album from 1972.

post-47363-0-03784900-1406343787_thumb.j

post-47363-0-68234800-1406343834_thumb.j

post-47363-0-44614700-1406343860_thumb.j

post-47363-0-76122300-1406343886_thumb.j

Hi,

My intent was not to completely discourage you from running the turbo, I was merely making some observations based on experience to ensure that you are going into this with both eyes open.

Given the unique history of the car it may be worth getting it going again---there are a number of great modern tuning aids to make sure that it runs safely. It will take some work, though.

It might be wise to put the turbo kit aside for the moment and bolt on a Weber and some nice headers and drive it while you get it into shape, and perhaps take the plunge into the world of forced induction at a later date.

Thanks for posting all of the cool history, and have fun!

Chris

Edited by cda951

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

I hadn't been following this thread because the title is for tires.  It has mutated into a turbo thread and brings back memories of about the same era when I make a draw thru design built the exhaust manifold and set the carb in about the same location.  It caused some 6 cyl series BMW driver's eyes get real big when I shot past on Floyd hill (you local guys know where) because he had just showed off and passed me.

That draw thru with the long pipes will have hard starting by having to crank a bunch to get starting rich fuel into the engine unless there is a provision to prime.  A modern EFI system would make a world of difference on operation especially for ignition control.

That setup was probably the best there was in it's day (pressurized carbs just didn't get it.  There is a recent thread on here where someone gave that a shot and it has too many complications to make the carb work.)

Anyway the car is a real gem, give it good care.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

also of note, the vacuum/advance pot is connected to manifold and not the carb port, where does that line T off?  there doesn't seem to be a vacuum gauge in the cabin

Ha, I got the reference to the Jackson Browne album from 1972.... even there, there is a connection. I almost bought a roundie tii that he originally owned. It was originally an inka '72 that had been painted white, and the documentation had his signature on several repair docs. I wonder if that one is still surviving somewhere.....

FAQ Member #126