• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Dual Sidedraft Carb Setup?

Kidasters

It's not the computer's fault Jim.  The problem was that: 1) I have a feeble mind and 2) my wife interrupted me while I was typing - which caused the train of thought to leave the station.

Here's the message from Jim when he e-mailed me to let me know they were ready:

"The hours were getting up there, so I did not take out the throttle plates and buff them.  You would have had too many hours in the job at that point. 

FYI, I shut the clock off at 6.75 hours, although I have more time than that in them, so labor is $573.75; all parts came to $293.42, and media blasting was $78. The total is $945, which is just over the cost of two new Spanish-made carbs (which would be about $830) ...but you have two beautiful Italian 40DCOE's that look like they just came from the factory. 

I did my best on the labor, and I either replaced or refinished every part on the carburetors." 

I'll send pics, but if they look as good as the carbs on his site, I know I'll be happy.  

I'm working on what I need to order from Blunt right now.  I'll give him time to get back home from Mid-America before I send it.

PS - the IE kit I bought was just over $500 shipped I think.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

I know that itch, fought it for several years.  not cured but distanced myself from temptation by selling my 40's.  still think about it though, once hooked, always hooked.  is there a dcoe anonymous?

G

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

I know that itch, fought it for several years.  not cured but distanced myself from temptation by selling my 40's.  still think about it though, once hooked, always hooked.  is there a dcoe anonymous?

G

If there is you are in the wrong place.  That's like asking for AA help in a bar.  But - sidedrafts are easier on your liver.  Maybe.....

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

Ordered the necessary parts from Blunt today.  Copper 12 mm hex nuts showed up today for bolting up the manifolds.  

Carbs are in the mail somewhere.  Hopefully packed nice.

goodness.....

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

I have a Korman intake w/40's and a 300 cam good torque and lotsa top end . Call them they know what you need . My carbs were " syncornized " buy a WV shop in Sturges.  Yes that Stuges.

3421912 ask john

Red Baron a 74 sedanw/ dual webers ,spring,steins,bars. body shop for a full make over

Red Baroness a 71 1600 touring new to me and on the street in Limburg

Old Reliable a 93 318 m42's are soooo cool

Carb Day!  Yay!  And it's not even Memorial Day!

Anyway, here's what was in the box. 

For comparison - Before

DSC00666_zps081548ef.jpg

After

DSC01976_zpsed1de1f9.jpg

And, yes - they are the same carbs!

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys - quick update.

The "redline" generic dual carb linkage kit sold by IE and others is not good.  Not only are all the heim joints in the kit fitted with plastic bushings (which will fail quickly if you do a search), but it just won't work.  The throttle arms, if made up to a bolt, will not clear the boss on the carb bodies that is toward the intake (filter) side of the carb, just past the idle adjust screw.  I thought I had it figured out after replacing every heim joint on the Redline kit I bought from IE, but it turns out that kit just won't work.  I've ordered a kit from Pierce Manifolds where the ball ends of the throttle arms are more flush fitting toward the carb bodies, and will hopefully fit better.

I'll post a pic when I get it all set up.  I can't right now, as the IE intake manifold is at the machine shop getting internally polished.  There was just too much flash inside of it for me to install as is.....

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

The generic top mount Redline linkage as sold by IE, Top End, Pierce and others does in fact "work", and yes it's not perfect in a couple instances (par for the course for a "universal" kit) but it does in fact "work" with a little common sense.  You can certainly upgrade and piece together something a little cleaner (like the heim joints), but the clearance on the arms isn't an issue with a little filing on the unused bosses (I'd be happy to post some pictures come Tuesday).

To emphasize, we're dealing with a universal kit (put together in the UK) that covers the good dozen variations of the DCOE over it's long healthy life, if you were expecting something to go on without a little common sense then yes this doesn't fit the bill.  In the future I'd love to put together something that is cleaner for those willing to put down a bit more cash.  In the mean time If you shoot me an email I can point you in the right direction for some other little '02 specific linkage goodies come Tuesday.

As for the manifold, make sure you don't have the machine shop fully "polish" it.  That'll lead to more tuning issues.

Edited by AceAndrew

As for the manifold, make sure you don't have the machine shop fully "polish" it.  That'll lead to more tuning issues.

What kind of tuning issues? I'd be interested in knowing, sidedrafts will be in my cars future. Any good info is always appreciated. Pics would be nice also.

Dean

What kind of tuning issues? I'd be interested in knowing, sidedrafts will be in my cars future. Any good info is always appreciated. Pics would be nice also.

Dean

It doesn't pertain just to sidedrafts, but all engines running carburetors. Polishing a carbed engine's intake track hinders the fuel’s ability to sustain atomization.

On a carbureted engine the fuel has to travel from the carb ports, through the length of the intake track, and finally past the intake valve down into the combustion chamber. You can imagine then that the surface finish of that track has a sizeable role in the fuel’s atomization. With the fuel in the intake charge being heavier than air it tends to centrifugalize out of the air whenever it hits a polished surface at velocity (works just like that centrifuge you saw in science class). Picture the fuel in this case like rain/heavy mist hitting glass, it hits, collects into droplets and then slides down.. The fuel does the same thing except that it slides down the polished wall as raw non-atomized fuel into your combustion chamber. (less economy, rougher running)

A somewhat course finish (60-80 grit) helps prevent droplets of raw fuel from sliding down the walls, and instead holds the fuel up where it can be sucked back into the air stream and re-atomized.

It’s one thing to clean up the intake track of extra flashing and do a nice gasket-matched port job (this is something everyone should do [given some free time] with a new manifold). It’s another thing to fully polish it. If you feel like polishing, go to town on the exhaust ports.

Hope this helps and makes a little sense, I've got a grumpy baby I'm swinging here.

Edited by AceAndrew