• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's The Trick To Splitting A Behr Ac Unit?

2002Targa
Go to solution Solved by 2002Targa,

Hi all,

I have a Behr AC unit that I think the motor has siezed.  Looking as far as I can into the motor, I think I can clean, lube and free it up to make it working, but can't get the "box" apart.  I've removed all the clips, but there's something inside that is preventing the two halves from being easily pulled apart.

Does anyone know what the catch might be?  I really don't want to force anything, you all know how durable 40yo car plastic is...

Thanks,

TK

post-32031-0-11262700-1393291683_thumb.j

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

Took a look at the Behr parts diagram--there's a sheet metal screw that appears to go between the two halves of the case back by the blower motor--at least that's the way the diagram makes it look.  They also used mastic (black tarry stuff) to seal the halves together so that may also be impeding your progress. 

I have a scanned copy of the Behr A/C parts list If you need it.

Cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite