• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Planning for spring projects ordering parts, car in garage up long Not plowed (covered by 2 1/2 feet) snow

dreaming of fun in the sun now!

1976 stock engine with Weber 32/36 carb

seeking your thoughts / preferences on free flow exhaust systems

using Stahl header (I own currently not installed)

an Ansa exhaust at $400.00 for parts or Ireland Engineering at $800.00 for parts

any feedback much appreciated

Note: the exhaust project is the predecessor to dual side drafts installation but no cam or valve work is planned or contemplated at this time

Mark Baum / mbaum.collects@gmail.com
1976 BMW 2002 sunroof  (looking good now!)

2015 VW Jetta S (more like a car not a family boat)

You can run a Stahl header and an IE exhaust. I'm doing it... Works fine! Then it's 400 and 400 basically.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Something to consider...

Before installing an aftermarket exhaust system, try and drive/ride in a car with the same setup.  You might find the sound either too loud or irritating to you. Particularly if you plan to drive the car on trips (as to events more than an hour or so from home) think twice about noise level.  What sounds great bombing around town or a nice Saturday drive in the mountains can REALLY get annoying on a long trip. 

I found that out with an ANSA system I put on my '69.  One two hour trip and I went back to a stock system.  Still has a nice muted growl when you get on it, but at highway speeds at least the wind noise drowns out the exhaust!  Anyway, you don't want your '02 to sound like a ricer!

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Or the other option is get use to ear plugs. I use to do this in my 02 on my drive from Seattle to Corvallis with the old exhaust, not because it was loud, but because I drove with the window down and that part was loud  :lol:

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2