• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Passenger Seat As Temporary Drivers Seat

cjeria

Hello All!

I'm looking to buy a used 74'-76' passenger seat for my 75' 2002 and use it as a temporary drivers seat so that I can still drive the car while the permanent seats are getting reupholstered. 

Would a passenger seat fit the drivers side base? 

Here's a picture of the temporary seat I'm looking at purchasing.

Thanks,

Christian

post-46014-0-46253800-1382288529_thumb.j

post-46014-0-86850500-1382288529_thumb.j

post-46014-0-21603100-1382288530_thumb.j

Edited by cjeria

Not to contradict Esty about the late models, but at least on early cars (like my early '71), the seat bases are offset toward the tranny tunnel in relation to the mounts. This is why most aftermarket seats aren't centered on the steering wheel when using stock mounting points. I suspect that an early passenger seat would hit the door or at least feel very out of line with the wheel if installed on the driver's side.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

I think Dave is correct WRT the early seats.  Also, you'd have to swap the fore and aft adjustment mechanism so that it's on the outboard rail; moving a pax seat to the driver's side would put the adjustment on the inboard rail.  Also, the recline mechanism knob may well foul the tranny tunnel as it would also be on the inboard side...

Worth a try, though, if you can test it out.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yes, I don't claim any knowledge of late-model seats, and that one does look more symmetrical. That actually raises a question, though: Was the stock late seating position worse with regard to steering wheel alignment than the early cars? Looks like that would be the case.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler