• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stupid Belt Question

paulram

I replaced the Vbelt for the Alternator and Fan (10mm x 880mm).   I can't find any specs on the second belt from the drive to the water pump.  I've looked for the specs but all seem to be for the Alt Belt.  Can anyone help?  I checked on realoem.com but found nothing.

Paul

One belt should do the job, unless you have A/C. The "main" belt goes around the water pump, alternator and crank.

28.png

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ST12&mospid=47140&btnr=12_0930&hg=12&fg=20

bmw-2002-tii-injection-engine-550x534.jpg

Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I have two belts.  Alternator, Fan and Crank on top.  Second belt on bottom is loose and squealing.  I assumed it was hooked up to a water pump.  Is the water pump belt driven?  Maybe I have an AC compressor hooked up to a car without ac...

Paul

Edited by paulram

Your fan is mounted to the nose of your waterpump. When one spins, they both spin.

But...in addition to a fan belt and an A/C compressor belt, if you are truly "retro" (no fancy fuel injection, just a good-ol-fashioned carburetor), you might have an air pump, and that is driven off yet another belt! The air pump is on the driver's side, the A/C compressor is on the passenger side. Look at REAL OEM for the air pump belt. For the A/C belt, it depends!

Steve

EDIT: If you actually have an operating air pump, that would bring the total number of operating air pumps, in 2002s, to, let me see....two, yours and mine!

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

So what exactly does an air pump do?  From what I read it is part of the emissions?  If that is the case can it be removed or is it needed for combustion efficiency?  I guess what I'm asking is that part of the smog regs?  If it is hooked to an AC and Air Pump and both are worthless, I could cut the belt and remove both....

So what exactly does an air pump do?  From what I read it is part of the emissions?  If that is the case can it be removed or is it needed for combustion efficiency?  I guess what I'm asking is that part of the smog regs?  If it is hooked to an AC and Air Pump and both are worthless, I could cut the belt and remove both....

An A/C compressor and an air pump would be on two different belts, at least in my experience. The air pump injects air into your car's exhaust manifold to lower emissions. If your car has not needed to retain operating emissions for state inspection purposes, or has not had a nutty original owner who is hell-bent on originality (e.g., me), it is unlikely that your emissions systems is still working properly -- the major operating components such as the air pump, diverter valve, and one-way valve are all known to fail. So...you could probably remove (and/or plug) your emissions controls. I would recommend, particularly if you have a later car with more comprehensive emissions controls, that you consult this forum for some of the threads regarding this process.

Good luck,

Steve

By the way, the seizing of one of my past air pumps, years ago, was announced by a squealing, slipping belt. I don't know why yours is squealing -- maybe it's just loose -- but I wanted to offer that experience. And, oh yes, you should buy a manual for your car!

I have a manual.. The engine is kind of a frankenstein of sorts.  Whats left of the wiring is a mess.  It looks like only what is needed electrically was hooked up to run.  My belt is definitely loose and old. I have the upper belt and I was going to replace the other but why bother if it is unnecessary. I'll find out shortly.

Paul

Holy Schnikes....  I get the feeling alot of the electrical stuff was removed.  There's not a whole lot left.  Assuming I can remove the air pump I guess I need to remove the header as well according to a previous post.

Baby steps....

Holy Schnikes....  I get the feeling alot of the electrical stuff was removed.  There's not a whole lot left.  Assuming I can remove the air pump I guess I need to remove the header as well according to a previous post.

Baby steps....

It looks like stevenc22 replaced the factory exhaust manifold -- his might have even been the thermal reactor type -- with something better, e.g., a tii exhaust manifold or a header. But that's not necessary, especially as your Step 1. You could remove the air pump et al and simply plug the fitting on the nose of the manifold for now. Some people take an intermediate approach: pull off the exhaust manifold, pull out the four injection nozzles, and replace the manifold. Others discard the manifold. There are multiple ways to approach de-emissioning. You can take baby steps! There is a lot of information on this forum!

Steve

Yes, i removed the thermal reactor exhaust manifold. You can choose to plug the emissions line coming from the thermal reactor instead of removing the entire manifold.

There are great threads on de-smogging a car. Good luck!

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Der smoggen' stuff removed from my 69 (no A/C). The belt size should be on the outer edge.  If not, measure the diameter and thickness (millimeters) to get a close replacement from your local parts house (or look at Realoem or Penske).

IMG_7046.jpg

IMG_7041.jpg

IMG_7061.jpg

IMG_7219.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"