• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Buy 76 2002

bmwfan
Go to solution Solved by jerry,

I am looking daily for a 2002 to buy. I But they are either sold, out of my price range, or the seller will not provide pics of the under carriage, trunk, ect... common rust areas. or just do not respond to questions.

I would like a 71-73, but I do have interest in one that I missed buying that was listed here in the classifieds, A 76 2002, Automatic, I would like a 4 speed tho, but my be willing to compromise. Specifically this one had a sunroof and a/c. which would/is a necessity (a/c) where I live if I want to drive it more than 7-8 month out of the year. Summer here is 100-120 degrees typically.

My questions are: 

any known issues with 76's passing smog in california? the car is titled in AZ. 

Is an automatic that much of a bad idea?

Do the emmision control systems on this year significently affect the performance?

Any thoughts appreceated.

Thanks, Walt

76 is a no no in Ca , Smog nightmare is a distinct possibility , performance & gas mileage not too impressive with an Auto , my sons we just swapped into a 5 speed , much more fun & better MPG. A/C quite rare afaik .Where in Ca are you located ?

Edited by LimeySteve

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Yes, a 76 from out of state is a NIGHTMARE in CA.  First of all you are responsible for the smog equipment, and if its a 49 state car, it didnt come with it.  So you must get the parts which are no longer made, and no available new, so you gotta get used, and install and make sure the old, unavailabe parts are working well enough to pass smog every 2 years.  The performance suffers, ie, its a dog and if its an auto as well thats even worse.  Autos are good candidates for 5 speed swaps as the trans tunnel is wider making the 5 speed swap easier.  2002s did not come from the factory with AC.  So dealers installed "kits" to add AC.  Which means, its not hard to add AC to any 2002, you can get modern compressors and lines and find an old AC console and compressor, run lines, and bam...you have AC.  There are some Texas and AZ folks here that have AC in their 02s, in SoCal, its usually not needed unless you are in the desert.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

WOW !!!!

Thank you both for the information. Those are the issues that I hoped would not be problems. But somehow knew that they would be. Thanks for confirming my fears!

The 71 " roundie " has re posted on EBay . I think I will try for it again. Although it has 200,000 plus miles on it.

I live in La Quinta, CA. It is in the desert.

Thanks, Walt

• Solution

. I think I will try for it again. Although it has 200,000 plus miles on it.

at this point, assume every 02 you come across has at least 200,000+ miles on it.  i'm actually surprised at how durable some of the replaceable parts actually are.  There are very few used wheel bearings that i've actually tossed out.  i've reinstalled steering linkage if the ball joints are firm.  however, after 200K miles, expect a need to replace rubber seals almost everywhere.  that can be expensive.  but if you are in the desert, water ingress is not much of an issue i suppose.  and one other thing...  not all 200,000 mile cars received equal treatment. 

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa