• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunroof Photos?

bcarey

The previous owner put up some non-stock headliner -- kinda like a perforated leather? -- in my car. It's kinda weird, but it's clean and it's up there, so it's staying for now. That said, the bits around the sunroof have come mostly undone, and I was hoping that one of you good folks could snap a few pics of how your liner snugs up to the sunroof opening? Is it supposed to wrap up over the roof lip, or end at the opening? 

Similarly, I'm not sure that the exterior parts/seals were reassembled properly. If any of you can share some photos of the correct setup, I'd be very grateful.

I've actually got some issues with my sunroof as well.

mecahnically, it seems sound.  But in the closed position, there is one side (back left ) that is slightly slumped in.  It is only on one side...

Does anyone know what would cause this? And how i go about fixing this?

Also, if anyone has any experience changing sunroof seals - any recommendations on who to buy these from? And is this an easy fix?

Thanks,

Emmet

post-45206-0-07521900-1372303180_thumb.j

Keith provides much info here: http://www.my2002tii.com/spring_2005/sunroof.htm

Note: originally the shorter rear fuzzy "seal" was installed onto the rear aspect of the sunroof panel itself, not the opening on the car.  You can find them at your local dealer, BluntTech, La Jolla Independent, Maximillian Importing, etc. 

The sunroof panel itself can be adjusted up/down at the corners.  What is deemed "easy" is dependent on your skill set.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I've actually got some issues with my sunroof as well.

mecahnically, it seems sound.  But in the closed position, there is one side (back left ) that is slightly slumped in.  It is only on one side...

Does anyone know what would cause this? And how i go about fixing this?

Also, if anyone has any experience changing sunroof seals - any recommendations on who to buy these from? And is this an easy fix?

Thanks,

Emmet

Does the sunroof move evenly when rotating the handle?  if not, then I'd suspect one of your cables to be broken

Right cable on my car was broken- notice the difference?

IMG_7183.jpg

Here is the problem (broken) sunroof cable (not supposed to be in two pieces)

IMG_7369.jpg

Now if the roof moves fine, then you might check to see if the metal pin is under the "spring" piece.  Hard to describe.

It should look like this when the sunroof cassette is flush with the roof

IMG_7547.jpg

And like this when the rear of the cassette lowers down

IMG_7546.jpg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

There are two parts to the sunroof seal. The longer front portion is glued to the body and right as the rear of the opening curves to meet the back edge the seal looses its inner rubber bit and one more inch on either side kinks down and is glued flush against the body beneath the curve.

The shorter portion of the sunroof seal is glued to the sunroof panel itself. It sits just flush with the panel surface. It's length goes around the curve and just as the curve straightens out to aim straight it looses its inner support rubber band tube and glues flat at a slight downward angle.

To get the inner rubber support band to be the right length (shortened inside so that the seal can be glued flat) you pull a bit of it out, very carefully cut it to the right length and tuck it back about 3/4" into the felt.

I use Würth rubber glue to glue the seal in place.

With the sunroof closed the two seals meet and overlap at the flat glued portions mentioned above.

Now on to the second question posted. The one about adjusting the rear closed position height. In Jim's third picture, the one from the inside with the sunroof in the closed position there is a screw visible that you can't see in any of the other pictures... Make the following adjustment only if EVERYTHING else is in good order. That screw pinches two notched/toothed pieces. You can adjust the closed position by loosening the screw and either pushing the panel up or down to another tooth position. Be very careful not to over loosen the screw or the outer toothed nut piece will fall off, and it's a PITA to get back into place.

P.S. there is a black sunroof seal available out there that can be used on dark colored cars. I could tell you what car it's from but I'd then have to kill you. =^P

HTH

Edited by tjones02

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Now on to the second question posted. The one about adjusting the rear closed position height. In Jim's third picture, the one from the inside with the sunroof in the closed position there is a screw visible that you can't see in any of the other pictures... Make the following adjustment only if EVERYTHING else is in good order. That screw pinches two notched/toothed pieces. You can adjust the closed position by loosening the screw and either pushing the panel up or down to another tooth position. Be very careful not to over loosen the screw or the outer toothed nut piece will fall off, and it's a PITA to get back into place.

Picture added from the side of the (broken) cable assembly showing the adjustment "teeth".  I agree with Tom that you don't want to mess with this adjustment unless absolutely necessary.  The replacement (used) cables I installed in my 69 seem to be OK and not require this adjustment to be made.  I just made the replacement cable match my original before installing the cable into the roof track.

IMG_7378.jpg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 1 month later...

They are only available as OE parts from either BMW itself or a vendor that sells BMW parts. There are no aftermarket sunroof seals.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20