• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Would You Do!!!

ma.jomaa

A little update Fellas, I picked up the 02 yesterday and boy does it drive nice (aside from rattling windows and misc loose interior crap). The shop owner came through and gave me a discount on our original price quote. I'm happy with the end result and aside from little bugs that will be addressed in the next few weeks the car runs like a champ. Now off to the body shop on saturday to assemble and allign all body parts properly.

Edited by ma.jomaa

1979 e21 318 (sold)

1975 Inka (sold)

1983 e21 320i (sold)

1974 Polaris (sold)

1975 M42 Swap (work in progress)

Get a loyer. get your car back, pay nothing, give it to another, more reputable shop. 3 months and nothing to show for it is absurd. 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

So assume you will them that you going to back charge them and they dont accept your proposal and you end up taking it out of the shop

Do you have PLAN B?

I would go back to the shop and try to get firm date first and then I will them from this point on I will back charge $XX for every day they are late.

GOOD LUCK!

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

Get a loyer. get your car back, pay nothing, give it to another, more reputable shop. 3 months and nothing to show for it is absurd. 

Sorry if I wasn't clear, They actually worked on the car, the suspension work is supposedly done, and the engine and transmision is already installed, it's the wiring and plumbing that still needs to be done, but the thing is it's been sitting like this for the past 2 months, they basically worked on the car for a week or two and can't seem to finish it.

So assume you will them that you going to back charge them and they dont accept your proposal and you end up taking it out of the shop

Do you have PLAN B?

I would go back to the shop and try to get firm date first and then I will them from this point on I will back charge $XX for every day they are late.

GOOD LUCK!

Plan B was to negotiate what ever I owe them for the work done thus far and take the car to a different shop, but I'm really trying to stay away from that since the other shop will have to assemble a puzzle that somebody else disassembeled.

1979 e21 318 (sold)

1975 Inka (sold)

1983 e21 320i (sold)

1974 Polaris (sold)

dude you are a really nice guy, and this whole deal sucks bad.......I know that you are a very patient person.I met you at basco while u waited on this car and didnt want to attend w.o. it....... Iam sorry u are getting this(dis) service.

I'd echo what others have said, but I'd call and talk to the owner..  Tell him you want to come down and pick up the car.  You want him to total up the bill and have it ready when you get there at X o'clock.  Hopefully this will light the fire and they will get it done asap, or, worst case, you actually follow through and yank the thing out of there.  

Dont worry about the puzzle line, they obviously are over their heads, plenty of leads here for experienced people that have done the swap, look up Ben Thongsai, first thing  I would do is pull the car, get her home and start workin on plan B

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Thank you all for your replies, I paid the shop a surprise visit to check what they've done and to my surprise they're actually wrapping it up and should be up and running next week (but I'm not holding my breath), I talked to the shop owner and expressed my dis-satisfaction with all the wait and told him that I'm expecting a discount on the originally discussed fees and he was very receptive. I guess I've waited this long I will wait another week before pulling the car out. I've never been this patient before I guess one good thing came out of this experience. Below are some pictures that I snapped of the car ealier today.

v8ilbs.jpg

wl20iq.jpg

wrxqow.jpg

2uswk1d.jpg

rqztyv.jpg

rcilpk.jpg

vollkg.jpg

fp2w5j.jpg

vollkg.jpg

rqztyv.jpg

2w1s3vc.jpg

Edited by ma.jomaa

1979 e21 318 (sold)

1975 Inka (sold)

1983 e21 320i (sold)

1974 Polaris (sold)

Thank you all for your replies, I paid the shop a surprise visit to check what they've done and to my surprise they're actually wrapping it up and should be up and running next week (but I'm not holding my breath), I talked to the shop owner and expressed my dis-satisfaction with all the wait and told him that I'm expecting a discount on the originally discussed fees and he was very receptive. I guess I've waited this long I will wait another week before pulling the car out. I've never been this patient before I guess one good thing came out of this experience. Below are some pictures that I snapped of the car ealier today.

Sweet!  Patience pays, sometimes. ;)  Sometimes shops get swamped,  and take longer.  Sometimes this is a good sign because they are taking the time to do it correctly, when they get a chance to work on it.  Hope it works out~!

Bottom line is, although the work you requested could certainly be performed in two to three weeks, three or four months is a far more realistic time frame to have an engine swap performed by a retail shop with lots of other work going on simultaneously. Guy never should have given you such an unrealstic promise date. A shop should under-promise and over-deliver. Glad it seems to be working out.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Sweet!  Patience pays, sometimes. ;)  Sometimes shops get swamped,  and take longer.  Sometimes this is a good sign because they are taking the time to do it correctly, when they get a chance to work on it.  Hope it works out~!

Thanks Rob, I agree patience pays and in this case I know the quality of work that I'm getting is definetly great. The guy admitted that he bit more than what he could chew, I guess it's a good sign to see so many people wanting to have they're cars worked on by them.

Bottom line is, although the work you requested could certainly be performed in two to three weeks, three or four months is a far more realistic time frame to have an engine swap performed by a retail shop with lots of other work going on simultaneously. Guy never should have given you such an unrealstic promise date. A shop should under-promise and over-deliver. Glad it seems to be working out.

I agree, and I knew that 2-3 weeks will be unrealistic but also 3 months is an over stretch considering that most of the fabrication work was eliminated since I supplied the swap brackets and exhaust manifold, most of the other work that needed to be done involved a very limited amount of fabrication (ie radiator bracket, throttle linkage, maf bracket etc) I'm just relieved that it's finally getting somewhere :)

Edited by ma.jomaa

1979 e21 318 (sold)

1975 Inka (sold)

1983 e21 320i (sold)

1974 Polaris (sold)