• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Duratec Swap

Colin

Bet it'll fit! I wanna do a 2.0 Chevy Ecotec sometime. I hear they're a screamer!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I love those motors.... especially with a turbo! 

It would probably fit, but all the mounts would need to be custom and finding the running gear might take a good bit of custom fabrication.

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

I love those motors.... especially with a turbo! 

It would probably fit, but all the mounts would need to be custom and finding the running gear might take a good bit of custom fabrication.

Obviously, but from my cursory research it seems no  more work than an m42 and less than an m20.  One could also use a T5 gearbox...

I've got one in my not yet running Cortina GT (see sig for link to my blog, not updated in a while tho). Good bit of custom fab work if you want to avoid ending big $ buying stuff to make it RWD. Should easily see 200HP though (ITB's and exhaust alone).

You can get one one ebay for close to $400 now which is nice, get one as fully loaded as you can though otherwise you spend a few more hundred on sensors, pigtails, alts etc.

-BRyan

red73

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

http://mk1cortinasearch.blogspot.com/

I've got one in my not yet running Cortina GT (see sig for link to my blog, not updated in a while tho). Good bit of custom fab work if you want to avoid ending big $ buying stuff to make it RWD. Should easily see 200HP though (ITB's and exhaust alone).

You can get one one ebay for close to $400 now which is nice, get one as fully loaded as you can though otherwise you spend a few more hundred on sensors, pigtails, alts etc.

-BRyan

red73

Great stuff on your blog.  Care to share details of your engine?  I love how that looks.

Minus the ITB's which I made with GSXR throttle bodies, and the exhaust....it's bone stock (+ all the RWD stuff I had to make myself since it was a FWD focus). The stock heads flow so well as it is, freeing up before and after will net you close to 200hp....add cams and such, probably 215....start upgrading other stuff, you get the picture. Maybe 175 is the actual total for what i'm doing (for now), but I have heard people quote 200....so within that range.

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

Minus the ITB's which I made with GSXR throttle bodies, and the exhaust....it's bone stock (+ all the RWD stuff I had to make myself since it was a FWD focus). The stock heads flow so well as it is, freeing up before and after will net you close to 200hp....add cams and such, probably 215....start upgrading other stuff, you get the picture. Maybe 175 is the actual total for what i'm doing (for now), but I have heard people quote 200....so within that range.

Thanks. What was involved in converting it to RWD?  Do you think it'd be better to start off with one of the truck variants?

Thanks a million!

All the conversion stuff is readily available in the UK, As the original post said it gets used in the Westfields /Caterham/Lotus7 ect.

Can even get a sequential box as well , wouldnt that be funnnnnn.

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

There is a company here in the states called Quads for Rods. They make custom RWD  bellhousings for Ecotec, Duratec and other motors. They also make a bellhousing for the older Ford Duratec V6, which was a copy of the Yamaha designed 3.2L V6 used in the Taurus SHO. I had one of those engines in our '98 Taurus and that was a great motor. I could imagine a 2002 with a DOHC 220HP V6!!!

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

So, you can buy all the stuff, but lb to $ conversion + shipping will kill you, so unless you have deep pockets, fab up yourself (good fun, learning experience) By the time i'm done i'll have a 200hp engine for less than $2000 and thats including the ITB's and MS3 stuff......you couldn't buy the conversion stuff for that. There isn't a ton, but you have to get the water rail from the rear of the engine to the front for the radiator (the Ranger has something...but you'll still need to do some work). Because you won't be using the power steering pump, you will have to custom make an idler pulley mount to re-route the accessory belt as well as possibly have to grind down/off the engine mount on the front of the engine (unless you get a ranger variant). If you got a ranger Duratec, you'd want a head from a focus or car variant as it is set up for more torque, less HP I believe.

As for tranny, you could get a bellhousing as the others said, but why spend $600 on that plus need a transmission as well, when you can get a 5-speed MX-5 box for less, or if you search hard you can even get a 6-speed box for less as well (what I did). Real cheap route is the Ranger 5-speed.....but it's a truck transmission.

Like I said before, buy one loaded with as many sensors, wiring, alternator, starter if you can, otherwise you will add a few hundred buying all this stuff.

-Bryan

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

THanks, Bryan.

So basically I need a 2006 - mx5 gearbox and 2003 to 2007 focus engine.

I already have a working megasquirt setup on the car so I could easily transfer that over.

What ITBs do you have?  Those look quite tasty!

It would be much easier and probably cheaper to put the 88 M3 motor in your car.  At least keep it all BMW.  G

S14 engines are prohibitively expensive to acquire and even more so to rebuild.  I can handle any required fabrication work myself, so it is really mostly down to my own labor and brains to make something like this work.

For probably 50% of the cost of purchasing a clapped out s14 I could get a nice duratec into the car, in theory, and have it producing very similar amounts of power.