• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pilot Bearing Removal

dudem3

We're putting in a new clutch and everything that goes with that while swapping our transmission and couldn't get the pilot bearing out today.  We borrowed a pilot bearing puller from someone and it's kind of worn out and won't get a good enough bite on the back of the bearing.  On top of the fact that it's probably been in there for decades so it's not going to give up easily.

Does anyone have suggestions for other ways to get the pilot bearing out?

I posted a link to a youtube video I created as well in the past. Packing with grease creates hydraulic effect forcing the bearing out. Will only work with a sealed bearing. Not a needle type bearing

I posted a link to a youtube video I created as well in the past. Packing with grease creates hydraulic effect forcing the bearing out. Will only work with a sealed bearing. Not a needle type bearing

This is where the bread comes in handy. It will not squish through the needles as easily. No, I am not joking.

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

I used grease on mine and this bolt. Worked perfect!

IMG_0002.JPG

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Well if you gots the dollars, Snap-On makes a pilot bearing puller that works well.  I've borrowed it twice to good effect.  But I also successfully used the grease method once also.  Your choice.

Possibly you could fab a puller that would work.

I did this a couple of weeks ago and can highly recommended the bread option, more effective and less messy than grease and alot cheaper than a puller. Dont expect to reuse the bearing though! Theres a post on May 5th about it in my blog http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/134019-73-fjord-with-megasquirt/

We borrowed a snap-on pilot bearing tool this morning and it wouldn't even make it budge and in fact broke the arms on the tool, so I have to replace these on my friends tool.  The part that was stuck was the outer ring of a pencil bearing type pilot bearing.  The grease method had no chance of getting this ring out.  We used various tools on the Dremel, chisels, hammer, screw drivers and after several hours finally got it out, in pieces. That outer ring is the super hardened steal.

photo_zpsd1bdf44b.jpg