• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire Conversion/old Custom Wheels

Hey all, Im running some really old B.F. Goodrich BR50-13 tires on some 1971 custom welded wheels. the tires are 9.5in wide. Thinking about getting some 15" wheels with a 5.39" back spacing. Does anyone know the conversion from BR50-13 to say a 245/45 15? can I put 9.5in wide tires on an 8in wheel? or what would fit in that space? I have 4in flares so Id like to fill em up as they are now. any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-44914-0-79832400-1369101629_thumb.j

what do ya think of these? I think they would be siiiiiiiick. ;) so there.

post-44914-0-29231800-1369101737.jpg

1970 BMW 2002, 2005 VW PASSAT GLX 4MOTION WAGON   :ph34r:

Right.. I saw that as well. But what would the new size be bumping up to a 15in wheel compared to a 13in currenty on the car. I feel that a 50 on a 15in wheel would be too big? Wheel size up... tire size down right?

I would shoot for a 9" rim, if you want 9.5" of rubber.  

Production requires a 7" rim, but we use cantilevered tires that are 9+" wide.

I ran a 15" zero- offset rim, and didn't have any contact issues with the struts

(body panels, yes)

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Right.. I saw that as well. But what would the new size be bumping up to a 15in wheel compared to a 13in currenty on the car. I feel that a 50 on a 15in wheel would be too big? Wheel size up... tire size down right?

just take the outside diameter of the tire you currently have and look through the specs of popular tire on the tirerack site for 15in tires with same outside diameter.

2xM3

• Administrators

I have Jougbloed Racing wheels. They are 15x10 and running 275/35R15 Hoosier A6 tires. The flares are Grp 2 flares that 3.0CSl ran in their race days.  I started with the offset to get the wheels close to the strut, but had to space them out to change the location of the roll center.

That tire diameter is very close to stock so hight is not an issue. But you run into clearance problems at the rear of the wheel well. So you reduce the amount steering input.  

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Thanks Steve

I dont have a caliper to measure the hub... anyone know the dimension? do I need hubcentric rings if buying a wheel with a larger center bore or will the lug nuts center that up for me? 

Thanks to all who have responded!

• Administrators

Thanks Steve

I dont have a caliper to measure the hub... anyone know the dimension? do I need hubcentric rings if buying a wheel with a larger center bore or will the lug nuts center that up for me? 

Thanks to all who have responded!

2002s did not use hubcentric wheels. you really can't with the hub design in the rear. Fronts - you can. I do not remember the size, i think it's 54mm

steve k.

so its more lug-centric... I guess Ive never had problems with mine, but then again they are just chopped up factory wheels using the factory steel bore. Have you ever had any vibration issues with aftermarket wheels, or are your custom built to OEM bore and what not. I pulled my car out of storage (14yrs...jeeeez!) tires had flat spots, but after remounting, the flat spots were seemingly gone, but still had vibration. I dunno.. just bought some wheels :D tires are next and probably some spacers and longer lugs. ok ill stop rambling now. new post soon. carb adjustment. so get ready ;)

thanks again!

Jonny C.

• Administrators

never had vibration with aftermarket wheels or tires. And most the time i do not balance then since speeds are low in autocross. But the wheels are always lug centric and you need to have proper lugs to keep things in place.

steve k.

2002s did not use hubcentric wheels. you really can't with the hub design in the rear. Fronts - you can. I do not remember the size, i think it's 54mm

steve k.

i believe it is 57.1mm.  fronts only hubcentric if you are using e21 or e21 front hubs.

2xM3

• 2 weeks later...

i need spacers and longer lugs. oh boy.  :mellow: has anyone put in longer lugs? any sites to pick em up from? also need spacers probably .5"-1" for the back and may be more than 1" for the front just to get them flush with the fender. currently hitting some suspension...barley.

i need spacers and longer lugs. oh boy.  :mellow: has anyone put in longer lugs? any sites to pick em up from? also need spacers probably .5"-1" for the back and may be more than 1" for the front just to get them flush with the fender. currently hitting some suspension...barley.

http://www.motorsporthardware.com/bmw/

Edited by RayC911

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig