• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TII Prices

LeeMW

I believe we are either (a.) in a momentary panic, or, possibly, (b.) at the beginning of a more mature phase of 2002 collectibility, wherein the rarer versions -- also, generally, the more high performance -- of a collectible model establish themselves at a much higher level than the standard versions. My examples are the '54 to '65 Alfa Giuliettas and Giulias (models 750 and 101), for which the rarer, and hotter, Veloce versions now trade at virtually double the standard Normale prices.

I certainly agree with your observation: right now I'd say that any tii seems to be priced at double the price of an equivalent non-tii. Sustainable in the short term? We'll see. But, long term, I have no doubt that tii's will trade at a much larger premium to the non-tii's than they have for the past 40 years.

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I will say this...I started looking at 2002's after the early 911 market went berzerk. 6 months ago they were affordable enough to hold out for exactly what I want, figuring a budget of $10k should get me a pretty nice, well cared for, needs nothing jalopy as long as I'm not after a collector grade car. Yesterday I went and test drove a Type 1 to see how I like it, if that says anything.

Interesting. And you've, no doubt, noticed the...substantial...break between T and S model prices!

Good luck with your shopping

Indeed. Heck, you can hardly even get a solid 912 project car for less than mid teens now. Sometimes I regret selling my 993, and then other times I remember how often things like, "Will driving my car 300 miles affect the value?" come up. Shooting the breeze with those guys is more like having a conference with a bunch of investors. I always loved talking to the R Gruppe guys though, cool bunch who use their cars, and probably part of my motivation to get out of the later model stuff (although, horribly timed).

Back to Tii prices ... a collector car dealer here in La Jolla just got in a nice '73 Tii in Malaga, with a black interior and factory alloy wheels. The seller needed $ for his daughter's tuition, and was willing to take as little as $19k if a sale occurred quickly. The car arrived Friday evening and a local former 2002 owner saw it through the closed doors of the shop over the weekend. Monday morning he bought it for $21,500. It's a very nice car, and probably a bargain: the seller bought it two years ago for $13k and had it fully restored - including a bare-metal repaint, engine-out rebuild, transmission rebuild, fresh upholstery, etc. - at a cost of $33k. So he had $46 into it.

post-23558-13667670999164_thumb.jpg

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

• 5 weeks later...

And the bidding wars continue -- particularly for round taillight tii's!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/tii-/330914186425?_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true#ht_500wt_1064

This car, which appears to be honestly described and presented, is currently at $4,259. That's for a car that has not run in 16 years -- and which, at minimum, had weak synchros and A/C at that time. The car was stored outdoors and obviously needs a full paint job. Rebuilt in the late '80s, the rust situation is unknown, particularly given the outdoor storage. The interior looks OK: a little cracking of the dash and a mis-matched seating-area patch on the driver's seat cushion. If the navy blue interior is original to this car (and I suspect it may be), the exterior color is not original (1. black with navy: not an original factory combo; 2. original black exterior on round taillight car: theoretically possible, but very unlikely). It sounds as if the original engine was swapped out for a rebuilt unit. Thus, you may be starting with a non-numbers-matching example in a non-original color. So a potential buyer is probably not looking for a Pebble Beach restoration. Unlike other recent examples, where cars were not accurately described, this example illustrates the strength of the market for any restorable round taillight tii.

Steve

EDIT: This car sold for $4,600: what appears to be an honestly-described tii, parked for nearly 25 years and not having the engine run in 16 years!

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I did not buy or bid on this car but did see it in person and talked to the owner. When I got there, the owner was chipping away in search of body cancer, I didn't notice any and in fact there wasn't much surface rust which surprised me but couldn't see to much underneath because of the grass.

He did say it was in a fender bender and the front clip was replaced. He also couldn't remeber if the engine was rebuilt or replaced, but thinks it was replaced. I tried to look for the engine VIN but it was smooth and couldn't see any numbers. The passenger door did not open and the drivers side needed alignment but it seemed the body was straight. 

When people say to see if the engine turns, I'm not sure what they mean but the fan turned very easy.

If it had matching VIN's, I would have bid on it. The VIN was from the first run to which there were only a little over 400 produced in the US.

72 Tii

I have been looking for a 72 or 73 non tii for about 3 months now and I'm finding that their prices are being dragged up but what we see for the tiis. There are some dealers that have non tiis in the 20s if they can say it has been "restored". Private sellers are wanting between 12 and 15 even though it might need some sorting out. I recently sold a 73.5 911T project car to fund my 02 aquisition. From what I am seeing and hearing the buyer got a steal and I'm now chasing a car that is increasing in price. The search continues.