• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for restoration shop recommendations

kaptanoglu

Howdy -

I had planned on doing an extensive refresh of our 74 2002tii (Sputter), but one thing leads to another, and it seems that the best course of action is a fully stripped restoration to solve the rust issues we saw on the lift (not terrible, but not something I want to ignore).

I have planned on piecemealing it between a mechanic, a body shop and an interior guy all local in Houston. However, I want to at least investigate having "one neck to choke" and having it done by someone who is focused on 2002s.

As such, I am interested in specific recommendations and direct experience with shops that do full restorations. 2002AD is the easiest to find online, but I suspect that there are a number of other shops that also do great work.

I expect the cost will be somewhere between shocking and crippling, but Sputter is a family heirloom, with my father-in-law having purchased it new and my wife learning to drive in it.

TIA,

J

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

You probably know this already, but if you start looking at resto shops in Dallas, be very wary. Contact me first and I'll fill you in.

Great project -- good luck.

1971 2002 Granada ('78-'81) - MIA

1974 2002 Polaris ('11- present)

1973 2002 Turkis ('13 - present)

Thank you all for the tips. I will start wearing out my dialing fingers later this week.

B4, ping me privately with your phone num and I will give you a call.

Thanks,

J

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

Mario Langsten at VSR in Bow, NH, is also excellent.

There have been 2 places mentioned so far that are superb.

Have fun!

74 '02- M2 under construction by SnailPace Restoration, Inc.

88 M3 unmodified when retired from track

97 332is CrewCab (M3/4/5 )

99 MCoupe-- track rat

Joses in the Heights did my body and interior work and have done other 2002's as well. I was very happy with their work. I did the mechanical my self, so i have no recommendation there.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,381681/

The one stop shop approach usually leads to massive bills from what i have seen when my family members have sent cars away for restoration.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Joses in the Heights did my body and interior work and have done other 2002's as well. I was very happy with their work. I did the mechanical my self, so i have no recommendation there.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,381681/

The one stop shop approach usually leads to massive bills from what i have seen when my family members have sent cars away for restoration.

Thanks for the local rec. If I were to go your route (which I am considering) I would need to find some garage space (which I am looking for).

J

Thanks for the local rec. If I were to go your route (which I am considering) I would need to find some garage space (which I am looking for).

J

No luck on the PM. Shoot me a note at john dot jonzboyz at gmail dot com, and I will buy you a beer for your thoughts.

J