Sign in to follow this  
rover1

Fog Light Circuit

5 posts / 498 viewsLast Reply

Having trouble finding the fog light circuit on a 76 2002. im using a Haynes manual and my eyes are bad. Could someone post pictures, Illustrations, links etc.etc for fog llight circuit

Fog lights were a "dealer installed" accessory. The factory did not include wiring in the original harness for the lights. The BMW kit came with the dash switch, wiring harness, and lights. Your eyes are not that bad, it's just not there.

I think there may be some wiring on the later cars. There are pigtails on the wiring loom near each headlamp, and near the firewall on my 76. I believe these have something to do with pre-wired front foglamps?

I think there may be some wiring on the later cars. There are pigtails on the wiring loom near each headlamp, and near the firewall on my 76. I believe these have something to do with pre-wired front foglamps?

Well, the late cars have one piece of the puzzle. If I recall -- I admit this is fuzzy and I'm 900 miles from my 2002 -- at least one of those pigtails is only powered when low beams are on (the other pigtail may be powered only when high beams are on), so a good power source is available with automatic dimming of foglamps when high beams are selected. But you've still got to install a relay, the dash switch, and the rest of the wiring.

There are LOTS of instructions on this forum; you just need to do a search.

(Late cars also have a conveniently located and labeled location for the dash switch, to the left of the instrument cluster, and an open bay on the relay rack just above the battery -- if you salvage a relay socket from another 2002, your relay will slide right onto the rack, as intended by BMW.)

Steve