• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock MC with 4 wheel discs

nbristow01

Yes I tried to search. Everytime I do a search I get popups them my conputer freezes...so will ask here. I just got in my front Big Brake kit, also have a rear disc converion coming in from Dave at Aardvark. My stock brake master is less than a year old and I hate to just have to buy another (528 one). Can I use my stock one? I know it has a restrictor type thing that is designed to run rear shoes but can it work as well on the discs? If not can I alter my brake MC to work with the rear discs?

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

The device to the rear cylinders is not a restrictor. It is a pressure retention valve. It keeps ~ 2 lbs pressure in the rear system to keep the shoes close to the drums.

Is your car a 2002 or a TII? If a 2002 the master cylinder/ brake pedal will travel farther to pedal firmness. If a TII it will have less travel. G

by "BBK" i assume you just mean the vented volvo conversion, not a real "BBK"?

you should delete pressure retention valve on the rear brake circuit. other wise rear brakes are always dragging just a touch. you will need some sort of thread adapter or gut the valve and put it back.

stock mc will work, just be ready for a longer pedal.

2xM3

Might also be a good idea to do the math yourself-

measure total piston area of the front, total piston area of the

rear, and see what the hydraulic leverage will be.

I don't know how Dave's rear discs work- if the caliper's

floating, multiply the area of the piston by two to account for it.

That'll also tell you how your ratio front- to- rear is going to be.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

by "BBK" i assume you just mean the vented volvo conversion, not a real "BBK"?

you should delete pressure retention valve on the rear brake circuit. other wise rear brakes are always dragging just a touch. you will need some sort of thread adapter or gut the valve and put it back.

stock mc will work, just be ready for a longer pedal.

Yes it is actually the 320 fronts with Volvo calipers. Is there a schematic or old blog around on how to remove this retention valve? I can no longer do searches on FAQ, even site search, which is google, because my computer keeps crashing

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Might also be a good idea to do the math yourself-

measure total piston area of the front, total piston area of the

rear, and see what the hydraulic leverage will be.

I don't know how Dave's rear discs work- if the caliper's

floating, multiply the area of the piston by two to account for it.

That'll also tell you how your ratio front- to- rear is going to be.

hth

t

My better and smarter half (wife) said to get the 528 MC and quite thinking about it

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Nick, If you are going to use an e12 master cylinder, and the MC does not come with the correct rubber grommets for the resevoir elbows, here is the part number: 34-31-1-121-911 22/8

22mm outside diameter to fit in the MC/ 8mm inside diameter to fit the resevoir elbow

Daron

Nick, If you are going to use an e12 master cylinder, and the MC does not come with the correct rubber grommets for the resevoir elbows, here is the part number: 34-31-1-121-911 22/8

22mm outside diameter to fit in the MC/ 8mm inside diameter to fit the resevoir elbow

Daron

Thanks would suck to get it and have no grommets

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

So which MC do I order with my 320 rotors and volvo calipers up front. Tons of info in the forum searches (my computer quite crashing) and I see E12 this 528 that, E24 E28 but never a part number. So here is what I have found

34311120832 and use with the 22/8 grommets

34311153919...no idea what grommets I would need

I am certain this may be an aggravating question but I just only want to order once and order right with all parts I may need to complete the swap

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle