• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaking Sunroof

dudem3

If there is a thread somewhere that already exists describing this problem, please point me to it as i couldn't find it in a search.

When I put my car back together after painting, i used the official long and short sunroof seals. The front and sides of the sunroof seal up fine, but the short piece that is supposed to seal the back isn't anywhere thick enough to fill the gap that is there. It's installed correctly but there is about 1/16 to 1/8 inch gap between where the seal ends and the back part of the opening on the roof.

I took the sunroof out and used some liquid electrical tape painted on the back part of the sunroof seal to build it up and it closed the gap some, but it's still there.

Is there an actual fix for this that someone else has done? Is there a seal made for another car that is wider/thicker and will fill the gap or maybe something from the friendly neighborhood home center?

It's probably an adjustment problem- as in, the sunroof's going just

a bit too far forward and compressing the seal in front.

Adjustment's not too hard- but it's been too long since I've done it to

be able to instruct you how...

The 'seal' is really just a screen to keep large chunks of junk out-

water is INTENDED to run through it to some degree, then down the drain channels

and into the tubes and out of the car.

If you're leaking, then first, clean your tubes. In front, you can clean the

small holes, then use compressed air to blow the rest of the junk out.

In back, it's tricky- fortunately, the backs don't seem to plug nearly as often.

Vacuum has worked for me in past.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks for the reply. All the tubes are clean, we did that before we put the car back together. Also, it has been adjusted so that the front is touching more or less the correct amount, enough to seal but not enough to compress and the rear still has a big gap. I agree that is it supposed to handle leaks by funneling them thru the channels to the tubes, but there is such a large gap that it is wicking around and onto the bottom of the roof and dripping down onto the headliner and running back and down the c-pillar and then down onto the rear floor pans.

I presume you did glue the back weatherstrip to the sunroof panel itself, not to the roof's edge. That being said, check

1. the long weatherstrip piece (front and sides) should slightly wrap around and down at its trailing edges, so that when the sunroof is closed those ends actually disappear under the rear piece that's glued to the sunroof panel.

2. The sunroof panel must be flush with the roof at the back edge. There is an adjustment for this; it's been awhile since I did that but I did do a column on the subject; drop me an e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Both of my 02s have sunroofs, and they've never leaked into the interior during the 43 and 35 years respectively I've owned 'em--even with ragged sunroof weatherstripping.

cheers

mike

PS--one final lthing--did you replace the black rubber seal on the sunroof panel's trailing edge--the one that's hidden unless you remove the panel from the car? It's a seal too...

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Well, just spent an hour or two trying to figure it out by dumping water in the crack and following it out. It comes down to what was originally said, the hose on the driver side rear was totally clogged. I was 99% sure i had blown all of these out when reassembling, oh well. checked the other side rear and it was ok. This car has been in an accident at some point in its life and the whole rear quarter from the rear panel to the c pillar to the door frame had been replaced and welded in. we had seen other areas while doing the restoration that this had caused problems so i think it messed with the area down where the hose exits causing it to clog easier because it's right near the weld that was done on the inner wheel well.

...you got it !

I was going to say in normal practice - no leak

should exist even if the roof is open because the

sunroof frame catches all the water and it drains

out thru the 4-corner drains. you found the drain

that wasn't draining. The seals just keep leaves, dirt,

and excessive amounts of water from entering

the frame below

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"