• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S14 Engine question

dumpedDAILY

So I have a buddy who knows where to get an S14 for an M2 swap and I wanted to know if 2-2500 is a reasonable offer for an engine that needs a rebuild. I dont know what the issue is just yet. I have to make the call today. Has anyone had any experience on an S14 rebuild before? I'm told it could be siezed for sitting around for a little while.

-Bern

NEED HELP WITH WEB STUFF!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Bern

"If ur not scraping, ur not low enough" dumpedDAILY

--------

02 BMW M3 SMG - R.I.P.

99 BMW 540it - Wife's car

73 BMW 2002 - SR2002

08 BMW X5 4.8i - Wife/family car

thanks for the reply. ive been trying to find one for a couple months now. I was just going to do an m42 cause it was cheaper but my e46 m3 is now totaled and i need a car for when i get back from afghanistan. i didnt even crash the car. i found out a little before christmas and i couldnt do anything about it.

Bern

--------

02 BMW M3 SMG - R.I.P.

73 BMW 2002 - SR2002

ouch! someone else crashed your M3? heck of a deployment "reward". :-(

if the S14 is complete that is a decent price. even if some part of it is seized, as long major parts were not destroyed it is still worth it for a rebuild. key is whether it "seized" from storage or it was stored because it "seized" while running....

if you decide to pass on it, let me know. i may be interested as a spare project.

stay safe.

2xM3

Already doing the research. I'll check on the engine status. I know that he pulled it and I sold the shell for him. He took the engine, dme, and trans. It is locked up, but I can talk him down even more on the price. That was when I was deciding either webers or the s14. But listen to these guys Bern, it is a expensive rebuild. That is why I went with the S52 instead in the M3

Good price for a whole engine...there is $2k to $2.5k worth of non-block parts on an S14 regardless of condition, as long as it's all there. That being said, I've seen running 125k mile range complete S14 engines go in the $3,500 to $4,500 range. So, if you have internal damage you might want to get that price down.

Be warned however, it may be a money pit! You need to be serious if you intend to build an M2....aside from the usual chassis modifications, a correctly done S14 engine rebuild on a non-damaged block & head can easily run $8k to $10k! No kidding!

Even if you do much of the work yourself, you will spend big money on an S14 project. But, the end result will be worth the trouble for sure!

Good Luck,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Thanks for the feedback! I guess I will pick it up. I just wanted to be within my budget. It's not looking like it but I'm forced to put this back together without my M3 anymore. Plus how am I supposed to have my 02 looking like Mr. Brenden Pierce?? My freakin dream 02 aaahh.... I just hope I can get the S14 to turn over. The seller said it siezed from sitting for awhile.

Pat any word on getting the price down for me??? That would be awsome if you could. This would be a nice deployment gift when I get back from Afghanistan!

Anyways thanks all. Any advice would be great.

Bern

--------

02 BMW M3 SMG - R.I.P.

73 BMW 2002 - SR2002

Man. I don't know what to do right now. I really want to put an S14 in my 02 haha. I dont mind the stock motor too much. It's just going to be weird going from the M3 to not being able to go "fast"

If I were to get the motor + trans for 1500 would that be worth it? I don't know if I want to take my chances. He said it was a perfectly running motor and had it sitting for awhile. Has anyone rebuilt one and can give me just a ball park range for the cost. Need to weigh out my options.

As for you Brenden. I was thinking about a similar color haha. Not sure just yet. Either way, your 02 is dope as shit!

Bern

--------

02 BMW M3 SMG - R.I.P.

73 BMW 2002 - SR2002

I'd be very leary of a seized engine! An engine doesn't usually get seized all by itself "just from sitting"! I bought a very very old tii engine many years ago...and it had been out of the car in a barn in PA for probably decades, and it "turned freely" by hand!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"