• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May have blown my clutch out..pic of MC attached

nbristow01

Still not sure, I was having some clutch MC issues and ordered a new MC a few days ago. Today I get a grind feel coming through the pedal. If the car is running I can not get it in gear. If I depress the clucth pedal and try to start the car in gear the whoel car jumps as the clutch is staying engaged despite having the clutch pedal depressed. Clucth pedal feels firm. The front seal on the clutch MC started leaking a few weeks ago so I have new one that will be here hopefully today. I hope the new MC fixes this issue. I am wondering if the clutch MC had a piece get broken off inside and has clogged the line. Car was driving fine today and when I pulled into the lot of wally world I depressed the clutch pedal and felt a crunchy feel like something broke loose.

So the question I run a 5 speed and 215MM clutch. Which TO bearing should I order if needed? I found plenty in the archives that says to run the 323 bearing with the 228MM clutch but nothing telling which one to run with a 5 speed/215mm setup

Luckily I have a lightened flywheel in the garage that is macjhined and ready to go in the event I have to install a new clutch

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

320i TB! only reason to use 323 TB on 228mm is because the clutch/pressure plate has a lower profile from flywheel on 228. If you've taken enough mass off the flywheel from the mounting postion of the clutch/pressure plate you may need to use the 323 TB. I think the difference is something like 3-5mm.

320i TB! only reason to use 323 TB on 228mm is because the clutch/pressure plate has a lower profile from flywheel on 228. If you've taken enough mass off the flywheel from the mounting postion of the clutch/pressure plate you may need to use the 323 TB. I think the difference is something like 5mm.

They took the weight off the back of the flywheel...front is standard across the board. I am hoping that the MC is the issue. I am begining to think something inside ot broek and has plugged the line to the slave.

I don't really want to do a clutch job unless I have to

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I think my search terminology must suck. I just pulled up dozens of articlles that end up referring to the 228MM setup. Noting specific I found for the 215MM setup....but then again this dyslexia is a real bitch to deal with when trying to read

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Well the car is being towed home so I have no idea what broke. Like I said it has full pedal pressure and has had a front seal leak. The eye that mounts to the pedal is fine. Is an internal issue I am guessing....but will just be guessing until I pull it off tomorow

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Yeah I know. I have done this job before. I will take the MC apart once I pull it. I have a feeling a piece inside broke off and is blocking the fluid from headed to the slave. We shall see tomorrow and I will post pics of what I find.

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Don't you have to remove the whole dang transmission to do that on a 5 speed? aren't the securing bolts inside the bell housing?

Go with the M/C and see what happens. If you end up having to replace the clutch, you'll change the slave anyway.

Good luck!

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

Don't you have to remove the whole dang transmission to do that on a 5 speed? aren't the securing bolts inside the bell housing?

Go with the M/C and see what happens. If you end up having to replace the clutch, you'll change the slave anyway.

Good luck!

No the slave cylinder bolts are on the outside but the top on is near impossible to access. Best way will be to drop the shaft and mount and let the back of the tranny drop down. then you can get a socket and several extensions in to get to it

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I'm afraid you have blown throwout bearing and/or clutch assembly. MC leak may not be related to this issue.

But that's only guessing. Let us know what you find.

Tommy

Tommy you may well be correct. I plan on swapping the clutch MC first (easy job)bleed the system and hope. If it does not work then out with the tranny and new clutch, PP and TO bearing go in...along with the new slave cylinder

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle