• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Left Front Control Arm Contacting Steering Box

backtrail69

I am working on reassembling the front suspension on my 2002 after a complete overhaul and installation of a replacement front subframe. I went to put on the left control arm and it seems to be making contact with the nut/shaft on the steering box.

Was there different control arm spacers depending on the year? The right side went together just fine. I am using new OE Control arms and the subframe doesn't seem damaged as the large control arm bolt slid through the holes smoothly.

Thanks

Isaac

'87 325 4dr, '74 2002

I am a little stumped by this, the only thing I could think is that the whole subframe is tweeked on that side causing the control arm to be that close to the steering box. I suppose the only way to fix it would be to un-twist it??

'87 325 4dr, '74 2002

I thinkk you ought to take a look at the tension strut mouning and associate parts to see why the outer end of the wishbone is forward.

Removing metal from a flange on a beam shape is a no-no. It will buckle right there. C'mon structural engineers in the crowd, chime in.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

No need to remove metal. Its 2 pressed steel c channels welded back to back. I'd just flatten that flange down a bit to get the clearance. His picture looks like the c shape isn't quite as defined as mine looks. Probably just variation in the aftermarket part....

Dave Ganzer

I thinkk you ought to take a look at the tension strut mouning and associate parts to see why the outer end of the wishbone is forward.

Removing metal from a flange on a beam shape is a no-no. It will buckle right there. C'mon structural engineers in the crowd, chime in.

In that picture the tension rod isn't attached at the other end of the control arm. I was just test fitting the control arm. I think there may just be some variability between my sub frame (Boxed in/Welded), control arm and steering box as they all came from different sources.

You can rest assured I will NOT be cutting anything. I appreciate the concern.

Isaac

'87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Is the steering box also new to the car? I have seen "rebuilt" steering boxes where the pitman shaft sits to low causing this exact situation....

Cheers and HTH,

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I'd return/exchange it as defective based on what we're seeing. The bump steer will be wrong for the driver side, the pitman isn't aligned/parallel with the idler arm.

Oh, and keep an eye on your credit card statement if that's what you used to pay with at 2002AD.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I'd return/exchange it as defective based on what we're seeing. The bump steer will be wrong for the driver side, the pitman isn't aligned/parallel with the idler arm.

Oh, and keep an eye on your credit card statement if that's what you used to pay with at 2002AD.

I used paypal, but thanks for the heads up. I will look into this this further this weekend.

'87 325 4dr, '74 2002