backtrail69

Left Front Control Arm Contacting Steering Box

17 posts / 1401 viewsLast Reply

I am working on reassembling the front suspension on my 2002 after a complete overhaul and installation of a replacement front subframe. I went to put on the left control arm and it seems to be making contact with the nut/shaft on the steering box.

Was there different control arm spacers depending on the year? The right side went together just fine. I am using new OE Control arms and the subframe doesn't seem damaged as the large control arm bolt slid through the holes smoothly.

Thanks

Isaac

I am a little stumped by this, the only thing I could think is that the whole subframe is tweeked on that side causing the control arm to be that close to the steering box. I suppose the only way to fix it would be to un-twist it??

Just looked at mine and it only clears by 1/8th inch or so....Really close!!

I'd say you need to knock that flange down just a smidge....

Dave Ganzer

Thanks for checking on your car, I will "adjust" it this weekend and hopefully it will all clear.

I thinkk you ought to take a look at the tension strut mouning and associate parts to see why the outer end of the wishbone is forward.

Removing metal from a flange on a beam shape is a no-no. It will buckle right there. C'mon structural engineers in the crowd, chime in.

No need to remove metal. Its 2 pressed steel c channels welded back to back. I'd just flatten that flange down a bit to get the clearance. His picture looks like the c shape isn't quite as defined as mine looks. Probably just variation in the aftermarket part....

Dave Ganzer

I thinkk you ought to take a look at the tension strut mouning and associate parts to see why the outer end of the wishbone is forward.

Removing metal from a flange on a beam shape is a no-no. It will buckle right there. C'mon structural engineers in the crowd, chime in.

In that picture the tension rod isn't attached at the other end of the control arm. I was just test fitting the control arm. I think there may just be some variability between my sub frame (Boxed in/Welded), control arm and steering box as they all came from different sources.

You can rest assured I will NOT be cutting anything. I appreciate the concern.

Isaac

Is the steering box also new to the car? I have seen "rebuilt" steering boxes where the pitman shaft sits to low causing this exact situation....

Cheers and HTH,

Yes it is. Rebuilt from 2002AD. Is there anything that I can do to fix this? I am not sure how it could be off THAT much if the box works at all. Crazy.

I'd return/exchange it as defective based on what we're seeing. The bump steer will be wrong for the driver side, the pitman isn't aligned/parallel with the idler arm.

Oh, and keep an eye on your credit card statement if that's what you used to pay with at 2002AD.

I'd return/exchange it as defective based on what we're seeing. The bump steer will be wrong for the driver side, the pitman isn't aligned/parallel with the idler arm.

Oh, and keep an eye on your credit card statement if that's what you used to pay with at 2002AD.

I used paypal, but thanks for the heads up. I will look into this this further this weekend.

ditto on tjones, I replaced two boxes this summer for thesame issue, factory rebuilt box had sufficient clearance

What causes it to be so far out of spec?