• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost key to stock locking gas cap

Vintagedavid

A locked bmw gas cap means a bmw gas cap that wont walk away.............and if you pull it apart and cut the tabs( withgrinder) please be very carefull of the quarter to less than that tank of fuel......inches away

Guest Anonymous

Here's what I did to my current locking gas cap that I lost the key to 2 years ago. Get a sturdy flat head screw driver that fits into the key hole and turn it very hard, it will break the locking mechanism, but it will allow you to use the cap as a now non-locking cap....with a key hole of course...

ira

Guest Anonymous

As I recall, I was able to get a cap off by removing the filler tube inside the trunk and turning the lock mechanism by hand to release it. But that was some time ago, so......

I had lost my key for my 74 tii gas cap also. One of the guys on the FAQ helped me out by cutting me a key. If you know the number on the key and if it is the same number as mine I will send you a copy. There were only a few different numbers if you bought the cap in 74. If you don't know the number then you will have to take one of the other suggestions.

Mike D

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

I lost the key to my factory locking gas cap for my 1974 TII. Now what? Is the lock easy to re-key?

If you find yourself looking for another locking gas cap (that is, if you must damage yours to remove it), shoot me an email (button above) . . . I've got a few used ones. -KB

Thank you all for the quick answers to my dilemma. I actually just purchased my 74TII and noticed the cap key was missing. I will try having a locksmith make a key. I may also take up a kind forum member on a spare key. I am an early Porsche geek that has always lusted over the 2002.

Thank you,

David