• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

silver dollar speedo blues....

jerry

i was able to put 190 glorious uneventful miles on my original speedometer when i finally got this car back on the road. all of a sudden while on the freeway, it died.

my initial finding was a broken tip at the tranny connection. ultimately, i discovered that the speedo siezed. the cable input will not rotate.

question: is this a DIY job or a speedo shop job? it is NOT the odometer gears that is the problem. accessing the problem area will require undoing a couple small cheesehead screws with tattle-tale paint on them.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

there's a pretty good chance you can fix it yourself. I've had my speedos apart many times, and they're actually pretty simple, if delicate.

Drop me an e-mail after you get the unit out and tell me what you found, and I may be able to help. I did several columns on speedo repairs, so your problem may be covered.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

yes, the broken cable was merely a result of the seized speedo. thanks for the encouraging words wrt to disassembly.

i wasn't sure i wanted to deal with it right now without some input, as i have other items to occupy my time if it was a dead end prospect.

i'll give this some attention now. fortunately, i do have a good replacement already installed and another less than perfect one to disassemble first as a test case (it's missing its indicator needle).

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

OH, yeah, if you have a donor to play with, go for it.

I agree with Mike- it's not hard, but you have to be gentle.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL