• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Others opinion on motor tranfer

Moriyya

Ive got a 1968 02 with a 320 motor currently with a crack in one of the heads i believe. When starting up in the morning for the first minute or so only three plugs are operating. After that minute goes by the 4th plug will kick in and then comes the coolent steam out the tailpipe.

Haven't yet taken it apart to diagnose where the crack is yet because I want to make sure I've got a new head to replace when that time comes if it is in fact the head.

Ive been working on this car/motor about 15 months now and also done some research on what i can do to make this a better 2002. Ive put all the suspension and brake work in for when i am ready for more power so now its that time and the motor is what i need.

Ive upgraded to a 38/38 carb about 4 months ago and i really like the difference but wish there was more.

I think one of the last upgrades i can do before swapping to a bigger motor would be to find a side draft carb, but i don't know how much more power that would give and if it would be worth spending that much money on.

Ive been wanting to drop the 325 motor in knowing that would be much more fun but also know it'd be a little complicated from the research I've done.

So I wanted some opinions on what y'all thought about either keeping the 4 or moving to a 6?

If the side draft carb is worth the cost or to just through down and find an old junker 325 and go from there?

I know theres better questions for this subject but there just not coming to me right at the moment.

thanks guys

moe

My opinion is:

1-Don't go side draft unless you are going dual side drafts. The 38/38 is fine.

2-Six cylinder is faaaast but it will probably screw up the handling of the car

and you will need to change quite a bit of pieces to get that thing in.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

I'd say just do both at the same time ..... DCOE's on M20, but I'm bias. :)

Andrew how is that coming?!?! That will be a monster! I'm debating M20, I have heard some bad things from reputable people...I would love your feedback.

To the OP...A well sorted M10 with dual sidedrafts and a cam and high compression pistons will get you plenty of fun...M20 will be more but do you wanna drop in an old motor that may need a rebuild soon, instead of rebuild what you have? There is also M42...Not as fast as an M20 but can be made faster with mods...plenty out there...

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

You should probably find that misfire when the motor is cold before you go. M20 its probably on cylinder 3 and probably heavy carbon build up. Also m20 conversions are pretty expensive and require loads of cutting and welding so if your not good at fabrication don't try it.

Yeah ur probably right having to rebuild a junker 325 after having it for a few thousand miles.

Though the motor in the car now has already been rebuild and is about to reach 45k. And the problem the motors having now, I'm hoping its just the head thats got a crack. + id say its a 1/4 way through its life on a rebuild if u know what i mean.

so i was just getting prepared for the time to come when and if this motor shits out on me and thats why i was wondering if i should get another m10 or reach for the sky and go for the m20.

appreciate the feedback and will look into the m42oos.

Well so i did try and find out where this misfire was when the motor was cold. I was calibrating all the rocker-arms with a feeler gauge and while I had the cover off i went ahead and checked the head bolts on the motor for any dryness/rust on the treads. But they were all good, so I torqued them back down to 56 lb and went ahead and checked the spark plugs. They too where all the same. So I'm not really quite sure where this is coming for so i just figured its the head. But i won't know until i dig in.

And for the m20 conversion, I am able to do the fabrications but i know it'll be some BS. what I don't like is not knowing how much it will all coast in the long run. + if the M20 motor i get needs to be rebuild thats just going to skyrocket.

Im feeling the m10 more and more

Andrew how is that coming?!?! That will be a monster! I'm debating M20, I have heard some bad things from reputable people...I would love your feedback.

Slowly but surely, as for feedback.... I think it comes down to the individual, their background, and what they want out of the car. The more people you ask, the more radical opinions you'll get (and these will be highly qualified opinions). Personally I wouldn't touch an M42 swap, but I know that many swear by them ( and I equally for the M20 ). We'll have to talk via email.

OP, good luck with the M10 engine, be looking forward to seeing how it turns out.