• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did I do wrong? 5 Speed Conversion

Dejammey

So I got my 5 speed in and the shifter is smacking my console. I don't have my transmission 100% inline but its almost there and the little adjustments I need to do I don't see how it will back the shifter back away from the console to clear it.

Did I put in a wrong shift linkage or shifter? Or is my Trans sitting to high?

The shifter also has a really bad rattle in it. I don't think that has anything to do with the clearance but it does rattle.

Thanks for any help

post-2261-13667662115169_thumb.jpg

Unclip the linkage at the bottom of the shift lever (beneath the platform) and rotate the shift lever 180 degrees. Although the lever appears to be oriented correctly it might be worth a shot. EDIT...Why is your console so far back? That thing protrudes wickedly.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Unclip the linkage at the bottom of the shift lever (beneath the platform) and rotate the shift lever 180 degrees. Although the lever appears to be oriented correctly it might be worth a shot. EDIT...Why is your console so far back? That thing protrudes wickedly.

I think it only sticks out a 1/2 inch because of the head unit.

I rotated the shifter around and it helped a little but its still slapping the console. Any other ideas?

Guest Anonymous

Did you shorten the link to the trans the same as the amount you shortened the platform?

Dave_Ganzer

your shift linkage looks fine. the positioning of the shift lever in the hole looks similar to what i have as well.

i think your A/C console is too far aft. push that sucker forward...

i had to remove underpadding to make the necessary clearance to locate my console correctly after installing a new carpet.

perhaps you can verify by locating the original screw hole in your tranny tunnel where the shift surround was screwed to the tunnel. if they line up as-is then disregard my comments on the console location.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

hah, and to my eye the lever looks tilted too far forward, as in,

the shift rod's a bit too long...

Ask 3 faqquers and you'll get- FAQ!

hee

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

your shift linkage looks fine. the positioning of the shift lever in the hole looks similar to what i have as well.

i think your A/C console is too far aft. push that sucker forward...

i had to remove underpadding to make the necessary clearance to locate my console correctly after installing a new carpet.

perhaps you can verify by locating the original screw hole in your tranny tunnel where the shift surround was screwed to the tunnel. if they line up as-is then disregard my comments on the console location.

That's a good point Jerry on the AC. I just finished up working on the car for the day I will make sure to look for other console holes.

Shift lever will be very close to the radio in a Behr A/C equipped car that has 5 speed conversion. Mine is pretty close but not as close as yours.

Rob Torres cautioned me about using a "short shifter" like Z3/Z4 because my hand would hit the console. Is your lever the stock one?

It appears you have the tranny/shift tower pushed up too high since the foam gasket is up into the cabin.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Shift lever will be very close to the radio in a Behr A/C equipped car that has 5 speed conversion. Mine is pretty close but not as close as yours.

Rob Torres cautioned me about using a "short shifter" like Z3/Z4 because my hand would hit the console. Is your lever the stock one?

It appears you have the tranny/shift tower pushed up too high since the foam gasket is up into the cabin.

I put that shifter next to my other 2 shifters and they are all the same.

When it comes to the trans. If I lower it 2 inches in the back the shifter still slaps.

I am trying to get another set of hands over here today to help me move everything around to see if I can find some more space.

When it comes to the trans. If I lower it 2 inches in the back the shifter still slaps.

Something doesn't sound right. Your radio might be too deep. Can you post a picture from below?

Here is my car in 5th gear. I am using 2002 Haus shifter parts and stock shifter. My knuckle just barely touches the ashtray when shifting into 5th gear.

pics1282010001.jpg

How is your evaporator attached inside the car? Does it look like this bottom bracket? There should be (2) screws and aluminum spacers at the top of the unit.

1aa51de7.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"