• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to change a Differential

Had not seen full “how to” for diff swap, so here you go.

Simple job. Well, simple on a car that gets its diff swapped a lot. No promises on a diff that has been in a car for 40 years…

What you need:

A diff

Two 17mm combo wrenches

17mm socket

19mm combo wrench

19mm socket

17mm socket

6mm hex socket (for 2002 cv joints)

8mm hex socket (if you have 320 cv joints)

Jack stands

Jack

First, get the car up on jackstands.

Remove muffler

DSCN5648.jpg

Lock e-brake and put car in gear

Loosen the 4 nuts connecting drive shaft to diff (17mm). you will need to get at them from the right side of diff and will have to rotate the drive shaft and re-lock once.

DSCN5650.jpg

Loosen the 24 hex bolts that hold the half shafts to the diff and wheel hubs. 6mm hex for 2002 cv joints, 8mm hex for 320i joints. You could get away with just doing the inner ones, but gives you more room to work if you just take them all the way out.

Creative use of a combo wrench applied to a short hex key if that is all you have.

DSCN5651.jpg

Or use hex socket and drive

DSCN5649.jpg

Halfshafts out. Good time to check cv joints and refresh if needed.

DSCN5653.jpg

Now get a jack under the subframe to support it. without the diff attached, the subframe will sag. Not good for the mounts.

DSCN5652.jpg

Remove hanger bracket. I just a tranny jack under the diff to support. Or you can have a buddy bench press it.

17mm combo wrenches on the bracket, 17mm socket on the nuts holding diff to bracket.

DSCN5649.jpg

remove the 4 bolts holding the diff to the subframe. 19mm combo wrench on top, 19mm socket on bottom. impact gun is wonderfull thing here.

DSCN5654.jpg

Lower back of diff first. When clear of tank, slide out.

DSCN5655.jpg

DSCN5656.jpg

If swapping in a 320 3.91, you will need to use the 2002 diff cover. Good time to check the innards and reseal the cover anyway.

Remove cover with 17mm socket and scrape the old gasket/goo off cover and diff.

DSCN5657.jpg

Bmw specifies a paper gasket on the cover, but I have never used one in the dozens of diff covers I have sealed. Never had a leak. I use permatex ultra black sealant instead.

DSCN5658.jpg

Apply a bead around diff

DSCN5659.jpg

Replace cover gently. Screw bolts in until just snug by hand. You should see just a little ultra black ooze out. Let diff sit for an hour or two for goo to set.

DSCN5660.jpg

Once goo has set, torque cover to 32ftlbs.

Get new crush seals for fill and drain plugs….these are on use items. Do not reuse.

DSCN5661.jpg

Now is the good time to refill the diff with oil. I use redline 75w90 for street diffs. Redlilne lightweight shockproof oil for track diffs.

Assembly is reverse of the above process…..but when I put mine back together I will add detail to this.

the oils..

DSCN5662.jpg

much easier to fill diff like this than when it is in the car. takes 1.1 qts

DSCN5663.jpg

DSCN5664.jpg

fill to here

DSCN5665.jpg

diff plugs get 41ftlbs

installed

DSCN5666.jpg

2xM3

• 3 months later...

Nice write up, I think I need to pull mine as it's weeping a little, gasket only, no sealant, bummer.

Sounds like you might know a bit about the LSD's. I installed one in my project which seems to groan/pop a little when pushing it around the garage, is this normal or should they be dead quiet? Internally it looked fine, no pitting/scoring/worn gears when i installed it. Car isn't drivable so all i can do is push it about to test, or pull it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1972 RHD Auto - Sold

1973 RHD Verona - Project

1974 RHD chamonix - Towed 

hopefully there is oil in that diff you are pushing around.

by design an lsd resists turning. the halfshafts are partially locked together. for the car to turn either the diff clutches have to slip or one of the tires has to slip. the slipping can create a little noise. hard to tell if the noise you are describing is coming from diff, cv joints, drive shaft, spring, etc.

2xM3

hopefully there is oil in that diff you are pushing around.

by design an lsd resists turning. the halfshafts are partially locked together. for the car to turn either the diff clutches have to slip or one of the tires has to slip. the slipping can create a little noise. hard to tell if the noise you are describing is coming from diff, cv joints, drive shaft, spring, etc.

Sweet info, kinda the answer i was looking for.

Diff def has oil as I pulled out the half empty bottle of redline xxx fluid last night, not to mention its weeping, there is no oil on the ground, just a film at the bottom of the diff.

I lay on my creeper, head under the car whilst someone pushed it, no tailshaft in place, I'm almost positive it was coming from the diff.

My only other thought was that I hadn't correctly built the half shafts, using wrong cv joints, or omitting the spacers. I'm nearly certain I used 320 inboard and 02 outboard to match the holes/bolts.

Would the half shafts bolt up if I used the wrong thickness spacers?

Not sure of the year of the diff.

Thanks for your time.

1972 RHD Auto - Sold

1973 RHD Verona - Project

1974 RHD chamonix - Towed 

• 1 year later...

Awesome post. Quick question? Is the crush washer for the diff drain plug the same as the crush washer for the engine oil drain plug. I know I have several engine oil drain plug crush washers but didn't get any for the diff. I was hoping to change the oil in my diff, but don't have any diff-specific crush washers.

Thanks ahead of time!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

thanks a lot. I just used this thread to remove my diff.

Cleaned it, 28 years of road dirt :s

Gave it a shot of rust paint, since it was out

Re-sealed it and filled it.

I'm just waiting to put it back in because I used the paper gasket which I'm a little skeptical about. I figured I'd put it on top of cardboard for a day and see if any oil leaks out. I doubt it will leak now but I fear it will when i put it back in.

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I made use of this recently and it was a tremendous help.  few things I noticed when following the guide:

- in the tools needed list, there's no mention of the hex needed for the drain and fill plugs

- would you recommend draining while on the car or after removing the differential

- I has some trouble with the bracket towards the rear of the diff, it seems you removed it when the diff was lowered, did you do the same for putting back on?  put the bracket on diff first, then the car?

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/2/2017 at 9:18 AM, mataku527 said:

- I has some trouble with the bracket towards the rear of the diff, it seems you removed it when the diff was lowered, did you do the same for putting back on?  put the bracket on diff first, then the car?

No. see instruction below.

59f90922dc71a_Capture4.thumb.PNG.ac838fdd04ba9e74f4488a160e44b19d.PNG

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

• 4 years later...
On 5/28/2012 at 4:38 PM, M3M3M3 said:

DSCN5649.jpg

remove the 4 bolts holding the diff to the subframe. 19mm combo wrench on top

Resurrecting this post as I have a question on bolt orientation. In the pic above, bolts are facing down with nuts and washers accessible from below….but

BMW manual has bolts facing up per Diagram from Buckeye. 

The first orientation makes more sense to me, but now wondering why BMW would have it the other way around. Where would thick washers go, if that is the case?

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'