• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Axle Boot..how the hell?

ziff73

It seems impossible looking at them, but it can be done. There is a nice tutorial in the FAQ Construction Zone -

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,317036/

I put the boots in some very hot water to soften them a bit and used an old shoe horn to get them on. They are very tough and you can get pretty aggressive with them.

Just read the article. Thanks Chris! Geeez, I didn't even realize the under construction FAQ was there....got some good reading to look forward to. I see that you have a Manila 02, very cool. I have a Manila 1600. I didn't know that anything other than 1600's came in Manila. We'll have to get together at some point if I can ever finish this car.

Great write up ! I finally took mine off last night. Question, my u joints seem to be in good condition, there is no play on both left and right sides.

1 what are some other ways i can tell if my u joints are bad ? I'd like to address this problem while they are out.

2 i seem to have some debris inside where my bearings sit (leaves, maybe some dirt/road debris) How should i go about cleaning them up before i put the new boot and gear oil ?

3. are the boots / clamps / rings still available for 1600 ? part #'s would be greatly appreciated. (68 1600 long neck diff)

1968 BMW 1600 Chmnx White

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150

60% of the time, it works every time!

After 40 years it is best to replace the u-joints, a driveshaft shop will do it. Be sure all needle bearings are in place, clean and lube. They can be held in with some grease, don't drop and lose any! All parts are the same, no difference. Only the boots are available, plus u-joints of course.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

After 40 years it is best to replace the u-joints, a driveshaft shop will do it. Be sure all needle bearings are in place, clean and lube. They can be held in with some grease, don't drop and lose any! All parts are the same, no difference. Only the boots are available, plus u-joints of course.

thanks Chris, i did in fact drop the needle bearings. *sighs* found em all, luckily i dropped them on my work table. As far as cleaning goes, just a clean rag, no solvent or anything ?

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150

Don't remember what I used, just nothing water based.

Gotcha. thanks.

Also, been checking out some youtube vids on CV boot tools, homade tools, and the easiest most cost effective seems to be the cone shaped plastic "slide-a-boot" tool. Kinda looks like a oil funnel. I think im going to try making my own and see how it goes, then i'll post some pics up and a maybe a little synopsis of what i did....if it works out. stay tuned.

gotta thank you again Chris for your write up !

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150

Call me lazy but I just buy rebuilt halfshafts and swap the whole thing and then send my old one back as a core. I don't like bothering with the boot replacement mess when I don't need to.

I normally do this with my honda, and other vehicles i've owned, but since these boots are a little different, i kinda paranoid about someone loosing the pin bearings, or using the wrong parts as they are not ball bearing type half shafts, plus if i can do it, and save some money i dont mind getting durty with it.

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150