• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Check your Alt Ground

beast02er

Really, all these years of having batteries die on me, alternator replacements, having to charge the car up to make sure I didn't end up stranded somewhere with a dead battery.

All those things saying "check your grounds etc etc"

I checked my ground (all those times).....it was grounded. Well, one day I was doing some electrical work and I decided to replace my alt ground because the wire to connector was falling apart......so, new wire, new connector, hooked it up and the car has held charge all winter, driven it a bunch......seems to charge just fine.....must have been the problem after all these years. How many years did I deal with the draining battery.....oh about 12....YEP.

I guess getting wiser with age is true....only took me 12 years to figure it out...

-Bryan

red73

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

http://mk1cortinasearch.blogspot.com/

I will try this as well. I have been having the same issue but have checked all grounds and they seem to be fine. When I power all lights, blower, turn indicators and fogs I get a drop in volts even if it is just one of these. I guess I'll go through the system again. Wish me luck.

It took me buying an E30M3 to figure that one out years ago.

The early M3's had a real beefy ground to the alternator. Too much beef and not enough flex. They would break and your car would eventually stop. They replaced it with a higher strand count cable to allow more flex.

Short story- I had the cable, didn't replace it. Car stopped running in traffic. Yep. Broken alt ground. I had the part with me. Fixed up and running. I still felt stupid for not changing it as soon as I got the part.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I'm going to check this I'm only getting 13.40v-13.55v.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

Cleaned mine yesterday among others...usual spring cleaning, today green turn signal dash light blinks once, worked fine last year. Guess I missed a couple.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Just came in from working on mine after reading thread earlier. Found my alternator ground wire was corroded to both ends took it apart and cleaned on wire wheel. It is now reading 13.8 volts from 13.5v but still when I turn on lights there is a drop plus turning on wipers and blower it goes down to under 12 volts. If I also hit brake pedal it goes down about a half volt. So my problem is not at alternator. It's a brand new AL 46 X 318 80 amp. Had it all checked last year including battery and was told all was sound as a pound. Tomorrow will check other grounds but I'm baffled at this point since I checked everything last year to no avail. Any other ideas would be appreciated.