• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone who has done patch rocker repairs

zippy500

I am cutting out the rot patches from the rocker, I have started at the A post end, (about 10ins long) all cut out well,

I bought a rocker panel from W&N its a one piece that does the length of the car and part of rear quarter panel.

I cut a template piece from the new rocker, 1st thing I have noticed it much thiner gauge than the original.

Also where the bottom edge is, it stops short, it doesnt bend over like the original.

Please help, is this just a cover panel, have I bought the wrong piece...

original stuff, but as you have noted, the outer rockers are finish pieces, not structural. It's the inner rockers (the vertical part you see inside the car, under the door sill) that provides chassis stiffness.

The original rockers are actually in three parts: the very forward edge is actually part of the front fender; you have to remove the fender to see the forward edge of the "real" outer rocker. Further aft and just under the trailing edge of the front door, you'll see a vertical seam in the rocker; at that point the outer rocker tucks under the quarter panel and continues to the leading edge of the rear wheel opening. The small gap between the quarter panel sheet metal and the outer rocker along this stretch is what causes rustout.

You can buy a patch panel that consists of a chunk of quarter panel that extends from the trailing edge of the door opening to the leading edge of the rear wheel opening, including the visible rocker panel and about four vertical inches of quarter panel. You may need this if there's rust out aft of the door. If the whole outer panel is rusty, it might be easier just to replace the whole thing--wheel opening to wheel opening.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

the outer rockers are finish pieces, not structural.

I have to disagree with you there a bit, Mike-

the tubular structure that both rockers form when welded together is quite a bit stronger than the

inner or outer alone. While the outer isn't a load carrier like the inner, it

serves to locate the inner so it can't deflect and collapse. Plus, the upper

and lower surfaces take both compressive and tension stresses. And the

body loads stress into both parts at both ends of the rocker.

When I replaced a rocker lo these umpteen years ago, the replacement

panel was shaped differently than the original, but fit well.

Dunno about the thickness- it was close, if not identical.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL