• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air filter and intake for Megasquirt

mike472

Just made up this intake out of an Amsoil cone filter, a 10" piece of polished aluminum intercooler tubing, a reducer 3" to 2.5", a 325e intake rubber elbow. I would like to thank Pat O'Neill from Midnight motorsports giving me some pointers on this. I used an Amsoil air filter because I like way their filters work, they fit through the bulkhead without cutting too much, and they have an conical intake on the nose of the filter for a good supply of cool air. I got almost the whole filter past the bulkhead so it is shrouded into a place where there is no warm engine compartment air. They filters are coincidently blue, which if you haven't noticed is my favorite engine compartment color.

The BMW rubber intake elbow will take the 3/8 NPT aluminum pipe bung that DIY autotune sells so you can place a GM IAT sensor in the air stream. The bung will push into the hole in the turn of the rubber elbow with a nice interference fit. Screw the sensor into it before pushing it into the rubber. You will be putting the elbow on backward from the way it goes on the throttle body of a 325e. The 3" end goes over the 325i throttle body mouth while the 2.5" side connects to the aluminum pipe. I made a nice bracket that bolts to a hole that's already there in the bulkhead and gets secured under one of the clamps at the air cleaner end. The chrome on the front of the cone looks cool through the grill. It should make some nice intake noise. The filter ran about $55 plus $20 for the reducer and $24 for a 32" length of pipe on Ebay. The elbow is about $50 new.

post-19339-13667656614262_thumb.jpg

post-19339-13667656615572_thumb.jpg

post-19339-13667656616771_thumb.jpg

post-19339-1366765661788_thumb.jpg

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Here is a supplier if intake ruducer, pipes, elbows, etc. http://cartoka.com/

They sell filters too but I'd stick withe the Amsoil air filter though, it has the best filtering efficiency out there with Nano fiber technology.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Could u repeat that first sentence again? Not quite sure what you're trying to say. I like the filter for the same reason. I hate oiling filters. But I don't even want to get into that discussion.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Could u repeat that first sentence again? Not quite sure what you're trying to say. I like the filter for the same reason. I hate oiling filters. But I don't even want to get into that discussion.

Made an edit for clarity. I figured some will also look at that company's filters and because they are cheap, want one instead of Amsoil filters.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Got it. Sometimes I'm a little slow on the simple stuff. One stop shopping is good for the other stuff besides the air filter. I think I got the pipe from one source and the coupling from another. I neglected to mention I had to make a 3" coupling to hook the air filter to the reducer. I made it out of a piece of 3" electrical conduit coupling which was the right outside diameter. You could buy a length of 3" intercooler pipe but for the short little piece I needed this served the purpose fine. About 2 inches long or just long enough to join the two pieces with clamps.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Amsoil part # is EaAU3051. It has a 4" top, a 6" base and is 5" long. Which is good because you don't have to cut too much away from the bulkhead to get it through. It will flow more then enough air for any horsepower you're going to be making.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Amsoil part # is EaAU3051. It has a 4" top, a 6" base and is 5" long. Which is good because you don't have to cut too much away from the bulkhead to get it through. It will flow more then enough air for any horsepower you're going to be making.

Great! Thank you. I just have a cheapie spectre on there now.

(nt)Here is the finished project. Hole is a little jagged but WTF. I painted the edge and bolted up everything. You really can't see it anyway.

post-9983-13667656858129_thumb.jpg

post-9983-13667656859726_thumb.jpg

post-9983-13667656861163_thumb.jpg

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Nice job!! Any chance of rain getting in? I am going to do something similar when I get off my lazy arse and hook the megasquirt up!

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

You might get a little water but for the most part its a good spot to pull cool air from.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Mike,

Very nice setup! Looks Great! What kinda of mileage have you been able to get with this MS?

I would like to offer a tip if i may, that area around the air filter could be cleaned up with a piece a vacuum line, cut to cover the entire whole then slice vacuum line end-to-end and slip over the edge, like a big groment. Keep up the good work, Enjoy!

Frank

post-19339-13667656864066_thumb.jpg

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

I haven't started it yet but I have high hopes of hitting the 30's under a light foot. I still have to hook up all the wiring to the relay board. I have the harness all done with connectors on it for every sensor. I have a little more wiring to do before start up. I have two Odyssey batteries under seat I just installed. I plan on starting it in the next couple of weeks and hopefully I can let you know what the actual is. I have gotten the fuel, ignition, and VE tables done with some help from other guys who have posted theirs on MS forums and here. I will also use the Autotune function in Tuner Studio and hopefully get it on a dyno to really tweak it. My motor is slightly warmed over with 9.5CR and a Korman stage2 head. I am using 29lb Bosch injectors from a Volvo turbo. Should work well

Thanks for the tip on the vacuum tubing. That was on my shopping list anyway as I needed it for the MAP sensor. I'll get some extra to dress up that rough edge.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318