• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Devil Exhaust System ??

rmatz00

I have a new never mounted Devil rear muffler that is very close to the design of the Supersprint muffler which is a center exit with twin chrome tips. The only major difference in appearance is that the Devil has cone or fluted shaped tips.

I have finally given up on waiting for a response from Devil Exhaust out of France as they no longer appear to produce automotive exhaust and just produce exhaust systems for various sport and racing bikes etc.

My question is a quality, performance, and overall recommendation question before I make the necessary modifications to a center exhaust.

Any input would be appreciated.

all the aftermarket exhausts I've seen (SuperSprint, Abarth, etc) with twin pipes are made so they'll clear the lower edge of the rear body panel without any panel cutting. Had one on my '69 for some years and never had any interference problems with the tail pipes.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Sorry for the non-answer to your question. I remember a long time ago my friend Dave Foley (Covington, LA) and BMW guru had one of these, was going to buy it from him but never got around to it. I recall that he told me they worked very well and that they were well made (cool looking as well). Short of that, if you wanted to flip me some decent quality images of it, I could post it up on my blog and see if anyone overseas can comment or knows anything - your call. I think its a nice piece. I found a NOS abarth system a while back that I am rat packing away for a future project. I have both the center resonator and the rear muffler (the resonator weighs a ton, not a weight saver for sure).

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/2012/01/it-was-pretty-tame-christmas-this-year.html

If you really have a Devil exhaust it should fit without modifying the rear panel:

devil2npk61.jpg

devil1r9ki7.jpg

Was sold aftermarket in Germany from late 70s or early 80s appr. to the beginning 90s. Manufactured in France, needed tests (noise, strength) for acquiring street legality in Germany made either by Noeldeke from Konstanz or Dr. Hoehn from Ingelfingen - not sure on that anymore. As Dr. Hoehn also was exclusive importer for italian BOSI exhausts I would think it was Noeldeke.

Devil exhaust is not that rare in Germany and esp. not in France. Should be available new as a remake in stainless steel from Garage Massot as far as I know.

I would not agree to Mark concerning general quality. All aftermarket exhausts from Italy and/or France were not as long-lasting as a stock or turbo exhaust from Eberspaecher and died of rust within 4 or 5 years in normal german weather and everyday use.

And non of the euro aftermarket sport exhausts - Abarth, Ansa, BOSI, Devil, Gillette, Winter - proved any power increase on dyno as promised in the selling advertisements. US products as e.g. IE excluded, not checked as those are rarely available over here and not street legal. So consider these exhausts only as an acustic improvement.

As we found out the only exhausts working well seen from the functional view are the Eberspaecher BMW turbo exhaust and the Zeuna-Staerker Alpina used. Second one NLA new for decades now.

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

One last note regarding performance.

I had read somewhere that the founder of Devil was one of the lead developers of the early BMW F1 engines based on the M10 block and that they are still involved in the MotorGP racing.

Not sure how accurate this information is but based on race tuning I would think that some of this technology might have found its way into there products.

Guest Anonymous

Come on Lars, cut me some slack......I never saw the darn thing (Devil Exhaust) that is ..... my recollection is that I was told it was made well. I never actually saw it so could only go with what was suggested. Schmarty pants *haha.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Guest Anonymous

yep....I have had an email cued up for a while to send back to you on the last you sent to me - buried with freaking work so I haven't been able to finish, I check your email sunday or so. have a good weekend.

www.alpinabmw2002.com