• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Give Chris Bangle Your 02 Cents Worth

richdnyc

Bangle is the antithesis of the 2002. He is not even worth mentioning on this forum. He stands for everything that an 02 is not, and he has completely redefined the styling character of BMW. His designs are "organic" as if shaped by bowl movements and stand in sharp contrast to the neat, smart, boxy, functional, purposeful - Bauhaus inspired styling which once defined BMW; "Form follows function". This is what happens to successful companies who drop one marketing niche for another. The marketing niche for the enthusiast became too small for BMW, so they had to find a new one through the Generation "D" Yuppies. Porsche made a similar trade. What happened to the minimalistic purpose built Porsche ? The new Porsche has become a luxury car. A luxury Porsche ?? The 911 and 356 are rolling around in their graves along with Porsche of all Porsches that defines the essence of what Porsche once was - The 550 Spyder. While the designs of the 60s are stoic and speak for themselves, the new Bangle inspired designs are pretentious and without substance. They are designed for the short term like so many other disposable things. Who is going to be restoring the contemporary BMW's 20 or 40 years from now ? It was once considered a scandal for a chief designer to have less than 30 years experience, but now designers are spending the night at the raves and designing on the computer during the day with the Ecstasy and Red Bull still pulsating through their veins to the rhythm of a looped techno beat. That's all you heard when a Z3 drove by. You didn't even hear the engine. What a sham ! I'm proud to say that I no longer care for new BMW's.

^sorry, but that makes no sense.

First, to get it out of the way. He didn’t design the “bangle butt”, he was the chief designer at the time. The current design chief, Van Hooydonk, designed it. BMW’s design process involves dozens of designers who all work under the chief designer. Once they have finished their design, four are chosen and voted on by the corporate heads. Second, he quit BMW in 2009.

His designs were actually “deconstructionist”, form before function; however, that’s how all cars are designed today and have been for 20+ years. Arguably the 2002 is that way as well, the large windows on the 2002 are a perfect example. The slim pillars and view is visually pleasing, but at the expense of chassis stiffness and safety. The 2002 wasn’t designed for the niche you speak of, it was one designer’s idea of a vehicle which would sell in droves and save the company, a new direction from their old designs. I’m sure people said the same thing about the 2002 vs the 328 when the 2002 was unveiled.

It’s not the designer’s fault, or the company, they need to sell tons of cars to stay in business and meet current safety/emissions regulations along with at least keeping up with the competition tech wise. Morgan is probably the only company today who still designs “classic” cars, but even those look stupid with once you peek inside and see the mandatory air bag steering wheel and headrests on the seats. Cars evolve with the times, hardly anything these days is restorable that’s more of a societal problem. BMW’s designer are just following what they believe will be the style in 4-5 years. You won’t find anyone restoring e32’s or e36’s either, both of which were pre-bangle.

“spending the night at the raves and designing on the computer during the day with the Ecstasy and Red Bull still pulsating through their veins to the rhythm of a looped techno beat”...old old man voice "damn kids these days smoking reefer instead of going to church" Uhh…maybe the clothing designers, some of the Japanese cars aimed at the youth, modern artists, are designed by people who consume ecstasy and redbull, but not cars designed for the affluent middle aged individual.

I dunno, I kinda like being able to go on a the highway at 70 being able to converse with a passenger, not swelter in the sun, know I have a chance at surviving if someone T bones me, etc. I love my ‘02s and I can’t see myself ever having less than a pair of them, most of the cars I really want which I could realistically acquire are older(240z, TR3a, Bavaria, 3.0cs, another ’02, and more), but I don’t want all my cars to be quirky like it.

I was neutral towards him until I saw a video where he was asked about the hate directed at him over the “bangle butt”. He was unapologetic, rather brash, and basically said “haters gonna hate”. I don’t think it was the best design BMW has ever done, but it’s not awful like so many people claim. IMO, people are on a “bangle butt” hate bandwagon, because, surprise! The new car looks different from the old one which said person has become so accustomed to. If you want to direct your hate towards a BMW because of how it looks, do it to the z1 or e21s, those look like ass.

If you disdain modern BMWs so much, who are you going to buy a car from? None of the other car companies are any different. I guess you could buy a kit car.

gee Slavs and Manimal - such intensity!

well, new bmws is what pays for my cave and food

for the past 21 years. Now if I were still working 'for'

Mercedes-Benz during these past years - I'D BE REALLY PISSED

with their direction. I worked with M-B from 1971 - 1990,

jumped ship just in time.

and Butt is exactly what does sell - to women shoppers.

Manny is right - bangle was the top of the design shop but it was a coporate jury decision for any final production

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

He's no Giovanni Michelotti. However, he is a significant designer who did exactly what he was hired to accomplish: give BMW styling a new direction. Half a decade after flame surfacing, every other car maker in the class seems to be adopting his styling touches.

- Justin

1973 2002tii

The toolbox is where truth and contentment lie... -James May

Funny how we all hate the bangle but, however, that design was a huge seller over the previous generation (IMHO a way better looking car). Just because you have money doesn't mean you have taste.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

OK.

Someone's gotta say it.

I...like...Banglebutts and I cannot lie...

Seriously. E30's were about the end for me. I never warmed to the E36's. The E46's looked pretty good, but were way over-technical. All the new E90whatevers all look the same. Teaching at the car clinics, I get to drive lots of the new BMWs. They are great cars, handle great, stop great, lots of power...but, a bit boring. When someone shows up with a Hyundai or Toyota, we just don't know how it's going to handle. I must say, I was suprised when we were able to get a Camry through the slalom. Now I know it is all the Camry 'drivers' that are to blame.

Anyway, most new cars are all following the formula and looking more alike. Glance at the back of of a new Honda or Hyundai or BMW. Without the badge it's getting tougher to tell them apart.

My original thought about the Bangledbutt was that other manufacturers would copy BMW again. Then, when the competition was smack in the middle of their production run, BMW would go back to a more pleasing design leaving all the 'me too' companies in the dust. I don't know. Is it happening yet?

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

The "Bangle Butt" almost cost me a job in highschool. I had just finished an interview at Keith Martin's Sports Car Market for a short term gofor job in Monterrey. Walked out side with the interviewer and made a disparaging remark about the M5 parked out front. I assumed it was a press car because since when do automotive journalists have the money for brand new M5s, just my luck it was his birthday present from his wife. Luckily he had a sense of humor and a few weeks later I was in a 3.0 cs on my way to Monterrey for one of the best car experiences of my life.