• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Body work and interior work costs

MN2002

Trying to get a general sense of the range of cost for bodywork and paint as well as interior restoration. I know these are general questions and there are lots of variables.

Assume usual rust areas for a 2002. Front valance, some surface stuff, wheel wells. Shock towers and fuel cell are good. Strip to metal and paint.

Interior. New carpet and upholstery.

Not looking for exact numbers, but ball park figures, perhaps based upon work people have had done recently.

Thanks for any comments.

cmp

If you're having a good shop do it, expect to pay a good amount....way over $15k, easy. I'm doing a full strip down resto on my 69' 1600 and it has no rust (okay, one teeny little spot)...I expect in parts alone to be close to $10k. I'm doing a good job, not over the top crazy, but I'm doing everything myself. I had the body blasted by someone, that's it.

To prepare for it, I basically did a full breakdown of every job needed to be done to every portion of the car and added the costs up....then I redid that list several more times to catch all the stuff I missed...then added a few more thousand to it to make up for all the little things that you'll forget...tools, bolts, cleaners, sand paper, more sand paper, paints, more cleaners, brushes, wire wheels, more tools, tape, paper, plastic, primer, blah, blah, blah....it really freaked me out once I got knee deep in it....but still worth it...;-)

I'm sure you'll get a ton of good advice from the guys here that have paid people to do stuff... good luck!!

Stephen Z

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

No body work required on my car… Rust free original paint Cali car…

Bought a nice used dash for $400, door panels for $200 both finds here on FAQ and a couple hundred for carpet from ESTY. Work Upholstery was about $800 (Vinyl) and $500 to install… World Upholstery sells the same set in leather for $2,000… Another $100 in bits and pieces from my local BMW dealership… Total of about $2,000 for my interior… If your seat pads are shot as well as the door/window seals you could easily spend another $1,000…

The cost can add up quickly.I purchased my car(a 71) about 7 years-ago with the paint and engine already done.It had a perfect dash,new Stahl header,all new a-arms etc.I paid $4,500 for it at the time .I'll bet I have $13k in it now. I love the car so it's worth it to me.

Trying to get a general sense of the range of cost for bodywork and paint as well as interior restoration. I know these are general questions and there are lots of variables.

Assume usual rust areas for a 2002. Front valance, some surface stuff, wheel wells. Shock towers and fuel cell are good. Strip to metal and paint.

Interior. New carpet and upholstery.

Not looking for exact numbers, but ball park figures, perhaps based upon work people have had done recently.

Thanks for any comments.

generally 40% more than you budget for

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

The ranges will be large. You can narrow it down by figuring what you want the final product to be (show car, daily driver) and what you can/will do yourself.

Bodywork is time consuming. More perfection=more time. Paying someone to do the work, their time=money. This is where having a clear goal will help keep you on track (maybe not on budget, but at least on track).

Interior work is something most shadetree hacks can do with fair to good results. Again, if your goal is a 100% show car, then pay the pro so you don't have to live with that little wrinkle in the vinyl.

Recent purchases for my interior were Esty carpet at around $250 (got from another FAQer that changed his color choices), 1 piece dash for around $450, World Upholstery seat covers, front and rear for about $650 on sale a couple of years ago, OEM headliner from Blunt, can't recall exactly, probably in the $200 range. Door panel backs and Mylar kit from Dave Varco, around $150. That puts me at around $1700 in parts so far. I already had the new horsehair pads for the front seats, but I need to buy some of the plastic trim bits which will easily add up to another few hundred dollars. About $2k just in parts for the interior, and that is with reusable door vinyl.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

The ranges will be large. You can narrow it down by figuring what you want the final product to be (show car, daily driver) and what you can/will do yourself.

Bodywork is time consuming. More perfection=more time. Paying someone to do the work, their time=money. This is where having a clear goal will help keep you on track (maybe not on budget, but at least on track).

Interior work is something most shadetree hacks can do with fair to good results. Again, if your goal is a 100% show car, then pay the pro so you don't have to live with that little wrinkle in the vinyl.

Recent purchases for my interior were Esty carpet at around $250 (got from another FAQer that changed his color choices), 1 piece dash for around $450, World Upholstery seat covers, front and rear for about $650 on sale a couple of years ago, OEM headliner from Blunt, can't recall exactly, probably in the $200 range. Door panel backs and Mylar kit from Dave Varco, around $150. That puts me at around $1700 in parts so far. I already had the new horsehair pads for the front seats, but I need to buy some of the plastic trim bits which will easily add up to another few hundred dollars. About $2k just in parts for the interior, and that is with reusable door vinyl.

Steve A headliner is 96 bucks I only charged you 200.00

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

...And the shirt off my back. :^)

Great, now I have an extra $104 to spend. Expect an order on Monday or Tuesday.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

...And the shirt off my back. :^)

Great, now I have an extra $104 to spend. Expect an order on Monday or Tuesday.

lol Ill be waiting

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com