• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top end noise

florida2002m3

This sound has been present in my 1975 motor since I took delivery almost 3 years ago. Its rhythmic, fades in and out, happens at low idle, warm or not. -But not during the high idle warm up.. The oil weight seems to alter the severity a bit, but its always there. I decided it to be a tensioner/chain sound.

Someone of authority once said to me, "they all do that". I assume in reference to original motors.

My timing chain and tensioner have been replaced. Dual row. I don't sweat it.

Being a relative newbie, I thought it just an m10 thing.

• Like 1

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Sounds like a piston slap or a almost a diesel like knock. My Detroit knocks like this. But piston slap would be more of what my guess is. It also could be a worn out rocker

It does sound similar to piston slap I think I got that and It goes away 100% when hot it doesn't go away when revving cold though.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

• 8 years later...

Try the hydraulic chain tensioner.   If it is cold, maybe the oil is cold enough to make it work.  Oil gets hot, and thin, then the hydraulic tensioner is no bueno.   I replaced mine a while ago and made it much quieter. 

The other problem that I had was the support bracket for the oil pump came loose and started to knock on the journal bearing.  This happened after the oil pump was replaced. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002