• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the extreme purist - HHI judging

BillWilliams

I found out, shhhhh, can't tell how. Our touring scored a 98 out of a 100 points at the concours. Not good enough to place but that is ok. Beaten by cars with 99 and 100 points.

The judges deducted points for:

Bosch sticker on the starter.

Wrong clamps on radiator hoses which I knew but can not find the correct ones. Still looking for them. Eagleday nor Pelican does not have them. Wurth does not have them big enough. The US affiliates can not point me to a source. Oh well

Dirt on firewall (Need to detail the thing)

Had one too many stickers on the license plate. The German plate only had one sticker, the black one until late 72. I had the red one too. No deduction on that one.

So all in all, not a bad showing. I can remove the stickers and the "dirt". Now if I can find those dang clamps!

382917_10150380691807454_118626337453_8322210_1645459585_n.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bill; Beautiful car, but I know how concours judging can go. Still remember my first intro to a serious concours - the 1971 Porsche Parade in Sun Valley, Idaho.

I'd been corresponding with another club newsletter editor, from Washington, DC, and he said, "When you get to the Parade, look me up."

When I went up to his room in the main Lodge and knocked on the door he said, "Come on in."

I found him sitting on the floor with the trans-differential and attached half shafts from his 914-4 upside down between his legs as he polished the case with a toothbrush and Semichrome.

Though I've seen some real anal concours-ing things since, that first one has always stuck with me.

You might contact Carl Nelson, at La Jolla Independent, to see if he might know of a source for your clamps. He concours his 1600 Cabriolet and is into that kinda correctness.

Bob Napier

pardon my ignorance when it comes to concours, but do the judges know the car "standard" like dog show judges do? or for each car do they have a checklist they just go through comparing your car along the way?

well done your touring!

matt

FAQ member #4044

I'd like to know how they have the 'standards' to judge against when our combined knowledge of the FAQ still has things we can't agree upon.

Maybe you should have stuck all the underhood stickers into one spot on the hood. That way, when they said it was wrong, you could ask them to show you the specs as to where they are supposed to be. At least then we would have the final answer for THAT question.

(FYI- the FAQ consensus is that Hans and Heinz put the stickers in the correct spots, except when Hans drank too much the night before and his vision was slightly askew. Helga had shorter arms and had trouble with a few placements, but she was dating the line foreman at the time so it was overlooked.)

Good job, by the way. I don't think I could place in a concours for my body, much less any one of my cars.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I realize there are no "standards" but some things are right or wrong. I know and so did the judges that the sticker on the starter did not belong there and I know the clamps are wrong.

In the attached picture, the clamps on the intakes and the boot to the air box are correct. Also the smaller clamps on some of the hoses are correct. What are incorrect are the modern day BMW clamps on my radiator hoses. The correct ones are either Wurth or NOMAR or something like that. The correct clamps look like fuel injection clamps, not worm type clamps.

NomarClamps-1.jpg

The ones on the radiator hoses are incorrect for a 1972 car

thermotimeboot2.jpg

The license plate font is as close as I could get and they did fuss about that.

Thanks for the kind words about the car. We had a lot of fun telling people about the car and learning about others' car. The BMW folks that show up to these events are special folks. It is always nice to see Dirk DeGroen, Elliot and Axel. Their 1600GTs were a highlight of the event to me.

Dirks1600GT.jpg

David Massi, a good friend from the Werk Shop and David is always the consummate gentleman. And Luis with his incredible NK car. He and his cars are a hoot.

LouisNKcar.jpg

FAQ member #5

John.

The Euro steering wheel was a generous gift to me from Paul Huber in San Fransisco. What a guy.

Touringeurosteeringwheel-1.jpg

3739222307_b0b3b8fe24_o.jpg

I painted it and had the chrome re-chromed by Royal Silver in Norfolk, VA.

Craft Customs, used to be American Stitches in Dallas did the cover

http://www.american-stitches.com/

To my surprise, he could not take the original covering off. Even though it looks sewed on, it kinda vacuum formed or molded on. So he covered over it.

FAQ member #5

OK.

I can believe that. The things that are just 'wrong'. I guess no 2002 would ever pass a FAQ concours for correctness. Just look how we disect the cars that get posted for sale.

Bill,

Where did you source the braided fuel lines? My usual sources are all coming up dry.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes