• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine will not turn over (just clicking)...starter?

jobuzulu

So..I bought a 74 2002 this summer and it has had some modifications (320i alternator, etc). I only drive it (drove it) once a week and it has been getting more and more difficult to start. For the last month I've had to jump it off to get it going but once I do I can drive it for the day and it starts fine. Now I can't even jump it off, just get the "click-click". Thought it was possibly the battery but it apparently wasn't after putting in a new one with the same problem. After reading many other posts on this forum I'm thinking it may be my starter (the current one looks fairly new, not sure if it's the M3 modded version...I don't think it is). Any other ideas before I fork out the cash for a new starter? thanks much

Hard work rarely goes unpunished....

I would remove, clean and replace (reconnect) the wire connections; the (+) lead to the starter, and the ground strap from battery to the engine block. Then see if it continues. Also make sure the terminals at the battery are 110%. It takes a lot of amperage to turn the starter. Any tiny issue could cause that.

esty, he already replaced the battery.

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I replaced the negative battery cable when I put in the new battery (it was cruddy). I will clean the + battery terminal and clean it at the starter also, first thing after work tomorrow (the + on the starter is very clean, fyi...the starter looks nearly new). Thanks very much for the help!

If, after you've put a known good battery directly into the car, and cleaned the battery cables at both the battery end and the ground end and the starter end, you try several times to start it and the starter doesn't spin the engine but you hear the click, and you feel the starter with your hand and the starter is hot to the touch, then it is likely the starter is bad. If the starter is not hot to the touch, it likely the problem is somewhere else.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Ok, couldn't wait until morning to jump the terminals on the starter...ran out to the garage real quick and used a screw-driver. Got some nice sparks and the starter was spinning when I did this. But when I try to start it I still just get the click. Will clean terminals tomorrow. Thanks again gents for all the help!

Ok, couldn't wait until morning to jump the terminals on the starter...ran out to the garage real quick and used a screw-driver. Got some nice sparks and the starter was spinning when I did this. But when I try to start it I still just get the click. Will clean terminals tomorrow. Thanks again gents for all the help!

That's great news... even if your terminals look perfectly clean, make sure you have solid connections. (bolts really tight) I had a brand new terminal on my (+) battery cable last year, that for some reason wouldn't clamp to the cable hard enough. Every now & then, I'd get the click. I replaced the terminal and never happened again. Good luck-

Scott

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

You gotta isolate where the 'clicking' is actually coming from.

Just saying 'i have a clicking noise in my engine bay' is not enough info to make a diagnosis. I agree 2002% with 'Clean All Connections & Grounds', this is the culprit in a lot of electrical gremlins.

Get in there and have a buddy turn the car over so you can determine the source of the clicking, hear it & feel it, then report back. There are a few components that will make a clicking sound.

-Voltage regulator

-Solenoid

-Starter

I suspect a stuck solenoid from driving the car only occasionally.

on the older/original starter assemblies the solenoid was removable and serviceable, not sure about the new/M3 style's serviceability........

if it is the solenoid that's stuck, you may be able to free it up by vigorously tapping the solenoid with a wood block and big hammer.

HTH!

"Keeping the Classics Alive. One Vintage BMW at a Time"

[/i]

Too many cars, too small of a barn!

(several 2002's, e3's, e9's & e24's and an NK sedan in the past)

the factory style that has a ground strap that goes to the body and another to the engine? If you just grounded the battery to the engine, the ground path back to the battery is going through your accelerator linkage--and it's gonna be very hot!

You need the two strap ground cable for things to function properly--or at least a heavy duty ground strap from engine block to the body.

You might also check voltage at the solenoid when the key is turned to start. If it's less than 12 or so volts, there may be a problem with your ign switch.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Success!! (sort of)

Along with the negative line from the battery to the engine I have grounding strap from the battery to the frame.

I cleaned the terminals very well on the battery and on the starter. Still just the click (from the voltage regulator). So, I used the wooden wire brush handle and a rubber mallet to jar the starter a bit. After doing this I re-attempted to attach the negative cable to the battery (with positive already attached) and got all kinds of sparks and the car jumped and tried to start, i.e. it turned over. I had the wife come out and engage the brake and turned the key in the run position. Touched the negative to the battery again and got the car to start but now it seems the starter is stuck in "engage" position. Currently have the battery disconnected of course.

Should I attempt to "tap" it some more or just call it good and get a new starter?

Thanks again everyone for the help.

• 1 month later...

So...replaced the starter with the M3 S14 starter ordered from Ireland Racing. put the trigger wire on the bottom spade as I've seen in other threads. Cleaned all terminals once again. Still just getting the click coming from the voltage regulator (driver's side, inside left fender). Any other suggestions?? thanks!

This may be sort of unrelated, but trying compression starting it to see if you can get it to start. From there you can isolate any systems it might be, fuel, electrical etc. and work from there. I had the same exact problem, just clicking, especially when jumped, but it would compression start. My return fuel line ended up being disconnected at the fuel sender, reconnecting it fixed the problem. Don't immediatley rule out the fuel delivery system as a culprit. Good luck!

1976 2002 "The Bavarian Bullet" Pastel Blue

Yep, I can (could) use a screw driver on the original starter, touching the terminals, to bypass the solenoid and actually start/drive the car. This is what led me to think it was a bad solenoid on the original starter.

Now that I've changed the starter and have the same problem, I suspect a problem with the power delivery to the solenoid. Buying an Ohm-meter today (I know, should have done this already) to check the voltage at the starter.

Synopsis of actions taken to date on this problem:

new battery

new negative battery cable

cleaned terminals (multiple times)

new M3 starter

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated, especially if you think I'm going in the wrong direction!!