• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on wheels - can they (and should they) fit?

Hellrot.

Hi guys,

I am hoping for ppl to chime in on this who have more experience in this.

First of all, I live in Newfoundland, so the amount of parts, wheels, etc. available locally is non-existant and it is super expensive to have things shipped here.

A was approached by someone recently who wanted to sell me a set of BBS RS 009's 16x8 et 11 for a really good price. They are 5x100.

So, I am wondering if I get these redrilled, will the offset still be too aggressive? I know 16s are too big for most on 2002's, but these a really nice wheels.

Also, does anyone have any experience using wheel adapters? 5x100 to 4x100? I'm guessing they will just make the poke even more aggressive.

Thanks for any and all help!!

first off only 4x100 bolt pattern fits a 02,

unless you have 5-series hubs on your car?

original rims on the car were 4.5 or 5.0 x 13" (5.5x 13' option and turbo), offset ET29

which means ET11 will rub the neighbors house as you

back out of your driveway

and 16 x 8" rims are for clown cars or uber race car

with ultra low profile race tyres

sure - Anything can be made to 'fit'

those inventors will eventually chime-in

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

As the wheel width gets wider, you go to a lower offset to still keep the wheel properly under the car. (keeping same et pushes wheel inside too much).

Obviously, also as the wheel width gets wider, you run into poke on the outside (sticking past the fender lip) and possible interference on the inside.

Take the 7.0" wide, et25 offset sizing that many 02ers on here are running (15" Rotas, etc.). Compared to that, these proposed 8.0" et11 wheels would have 2mm more inner clearance, but would extend more than 1" (26mm) farther - in front way past the fender, in back slightly past.

Note that all this is just the wheel, not considering tire sizes.

Adding any kind of PCD adapter ( 4x100 to 5x100) makes the extension outward worse - and most such adapters are min 1" (24.5mm) thick. So you might consider a redrill - but that'll get iffy safety-wise (due to hole overlaps) especially considering from-to PCD is identical diam (redrills can be slightly better with larger diam diffs).

So I'd say these wheels wouldn't work well. (Sorry).

HTH,

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

First of all you can redrill a 4x100 to 5x120 wheel. just fill in the holes and redrill.

Second it you are running a 16x8 et 11 wheel, there is no way you are going to be able to run adapters as the smallest is 18mm. Your best bet is to get them redrilled to 4x100, and run a stretch tire. But you will probably be at or past the fender. The best option would be to either interchange the lips for smaller ones thus changing the offset or buying and reselling on the vortex.