• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I want to put in a M20 with a 5sp

harmps

I just bought a 1976 2002 and would like to do a M20 swap with a 5speed. The posts mention the M20 but what years are best to get efficient EFI? I want to end up with a reliable daily driver (if possible). The only thing I have read are 90-93 out of a 325i. Living in Utah gets cold and has high elevation and would not like to have to play with carberation. I would also like to know what years of 320i's i could pull a 5sp from. Is it only 80-82? Or are there other 5sp I could choose from?

The car has only 70K original miles (verified by dealer) but originality doesn't meet the expectations of fun.

Any ideas or thoughts would be nice. I am novice to the 2002 world so please "be nice" if anything I'm saying or have said seems stupid, I'm sorry but that's why I am here.

Thanks for your the info.

PS... anyone ever been out on the Miller Sports Raceway with their 2002?

You can do a lot to the M10 engine to increase the fun factor . 130-150 hp is reasonablly easy to obtain and still quite streetable without going thru the headache of a transplant. Poss better resale value when the day comes .....for some of us it never will we just get more of the little buggers.

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

The M20 won't bolt up to the E32 (320i) transmission. There are some hybridizing methods (case from E21 323i with guts from an E21 320i), but I'm more fond of the "direct replacement" scenario: custom parts are hard to replace.

The one hurdle you'll find is the speedometer. With any of the modern transmissions, you'll need to run an electronic speedometer. It's not difficult, but it means either having a non-stock looking speedometer in your cluster or getting a custom unit. This can either be done with some careful DIY or by North Hollywood Speedometer for around $550. Check my blog for my version (done for a bit less).

If you go with a later transmission, I believe that you can bolt the M20 up to a 1990-91 318i/s five speed.

All that being said, what are you looking for? If you're just looking for more modern fuel injection and reliability, you might be happy with an M42. You won't find as much power in the M42 as with the M20, but you'll get a fuel efficiency and still have more power than the 2002, plus fuel injection and distributorless ignition.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Those are all great advice you have received so far, but daily driver 2002 in Utah?

With all the snow and SALT that poor car will turn into a rust bucket in a couple of years. I don't even look at my 02s in winter.

I would consider a winter car before spending all that money on the Motor and the transmission if I were you.

Welcome to Utah’s 02 community.

Keyvan M.

RED1602

1970 1602 (M2)

1974 2002 Tii (Show)

1989 325ix (Winter)

1991 325ic (summer)

2008 128i (Daily)

pete mchenry did the first of these, m20 in a 2002. he used to sell a kit to do this. he has since passed away, but look for articles in the roundel about this. he used to go out friday nites and look for kids in mustangs, and he would suck the doors off them. he also planted an s52 into his 95 318ti with supercharger. now THAT was scary. one of my friends in austin did the m20 eta into his 2002 with the m20 5 spd, but he had to change out the rear diff, too. with the stock diff, first gear was done at about 15 mph. it has been done quite a few times

Ken Inn

The only was to keep the speedo cable with a stock transmission on an M20 is getting and Euro M20 320/6,323i,520/6 transmission.

Must be fun to have a 2.7 on a 2002 though! If my E21 moves like crazy with one I can't imagine a 2002 being lighter probably very dangerous!

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

harmps- I did not see your email, please include as it is easier to email directly sometimes.

Try going onto an E30 specific forum ( http://www.r3vlimited.com/ ) to look into the differences on M20's as there were several different varieties.

Most people opt for the 'i' setup with the 885 head. To daily drive an M20 is certainly possible however aside from the opinions you find on here none of them are you or are in your shoes, while we can give suggestions, you are the one who ultimately 'knows best'.

Whats the best way to maintain the carb in high altitude?

I've taken my car 12000feet up with the carb and the only thing noticeable is a little bit of power loss. I went with other friends and the cars that were actually being left stranded were the L Jetronic newer BMW's which needed AFM adjustment to go up!

I'm using a Solex 4A1.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

Check out Ian Powell's project blog on his M20 powered '74tii that was recently featured and sold on Bring a Trailer.com. See: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,268186/

I have seen Ian's car in person and it was done to a high standard. Good luck with whatever you decide... there are merits to the M10 (stock, dual carbs, efi, etc.), M42, M20, S14... etc. Ultimately, its up to you.

-Marc

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst