• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Country drive, BBQ, Autocross event, Aug 6th,7th AKRON, OH

FINAL DETAILS FOR THIS WEEKEND'S EVENTS! PLEASE RSVP IF YOU HAVEN'T!!!!

Ok fellow car enthusiasts,

Here is the finalized schedule for our drive/bbq/autocross this weekend. We hope you can make it! It will be a LOT of fun, whether you're an '02 owner, or just a car person, please try and make it to one or both days!

SATURDAY, AUGUST 6TH:

We will be meeting at noon at Mark Cartechine's house: 3713 Darlington Road Northwest, Canton, OH AT NOON! Please be on time. We do have a couple of out of towners that will be arriving at noon or shortly after and we will depart as soon as they arrive. If you are coming in from out of town and think you might be later than noon, please call me at 330 256-3440 so we know to wait for you. But for schedule's sake, PLEASE try to be at Mark's at or just before NOON! The drive he has planned out looks amazing and will take us about 4 hours to complete, so come to Mark's gassed up. You can preview the route here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?authuser=0&vps=2&hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=208728231040967052713.0004a937f810e2727dc55

Have some drinks in your car. We may not be making many stops along the way, and bring a 2 way radio if you have one.

The drive will wrap up sometime around 5 and we will make our way back to West Akron for dinner/drinks/hanging out at the Barbieri house set for 6PM @ 1435 Delia Ave, Akron, OH 44320. House is grey, located on the N.E. corner of Delia and Orlando. Look for all of the BMW 2002's. Mae has an excellent menu provided for all of you, so don't miss it! We will provide all of the food, and we will have some drinks too, but it always helps if you want to bring your favorite adult beverage. No planned ending time for the bbq - Probably when the drinks run out!

Lodging is as follows: The Gipsons are staying at the Barbieri house, and we can probably take a few more people. We have the option to sleep a few at my sister's house down the street if need be. Mark has also offered his house for out of towners as well. He has several couches, an air mattress and plenty of blankets so if you're traveling, don't feel like you have to pay for a hotel, we'll figure something out. However, if you DO need any info on hotels in the area, let me know and I'm happy to help.

SUNDAY, AUGUST 7TH:

Don't stay up too late because we've got an incredible day Sunday as well! For those of you that are not familiar with N.O.R.A. Autocross events, let me give you some info. We would like to be AT the event parking lot for registration AT 8 A.M! That means you'll need to be up a little early Sunday so don't drink too many cold ones on Saturday night. It's about 45 minutes from Akron, and a little further if you're staying in Canton Saturday night. Once we arrive at the autocross parking lot, Geauga Lake

7213 North Aurora Rd.

Aurora, OH 44202

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=0%2C0%2C17676753745564036180&fb=1&hnear=Akron%2C+OH&gl=us&daddr=7213+N.+Aurora+Rd%2C+Aurora%2C+OH+44202&geocode=17119436462393528572%2C41.351760%2C-81.382898&ei=kGePTd36HKaW0QHx-KHCCw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=directions-to&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQngIwAA

-you will sign a waiver and register. You can register in advance and save 5 bucks through the website at http://racerslane.com/clubs/NORA%20-%20ASCC/seasons/4/events/11938

or you can pay when we get there. Cost is 45.00 per car. Please bring cash, and you will probably need some numbers to tape on your car as well which are 2.00 for a set. Once you are registered, you will take your car through tech inspection. For most of us, driving 40 year old BMW's, we're going to be subject to a closer look than a new GT3, but my '02 has always passed. Important things to make sure of on your car: Please be sure your battery is tied down securely, make sure you have no wires laying on anything hot in your engine bay, no puddles of oil in your engine bay, no major fluid leaks, make sure your suspension is firm. They will check your ball joints and tie rods for play, and before inspection you will have to have everything loose out of your car and trunk including floor mats, stuff in the console, backseat, trunk, etc. A more inclusive list, along with other general info can be found at their website: www.Noraracing.net

once we pass tech inspection, we'll start walking the course, getting to know all the sections. There will be a mandatory rookie walk for you beginners at around 9:30, a driver's meeting at 10, and the autocross will start at 10:30. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to contact me. I have done several of these events now, and can answer any questions you might have.

We plan on getting pizza for lunch. There is a McDonalds and Subway across the street but it usually gets pretty crowded. We think it will just be easier to stay at the lot through the short lunch break and have pizza there. Things to think about bringing for the autocross: A helmet if you own one (check the nora website for their required specs) If you DON'T own a helmet, they have loaner helmets to share. fold up chairs, some sunscreen as it can get pretty hot when it's your turn to work out on the course, and plenty of water. I may just bring up a big cooler of water.

If you've never autocrossed before, it's an amazing experience, and I promise you will want to do it again and again.

For those of you NOT wanting to participate in the autocross event, but would like to come watch, you can be there by 10:30 and spend the afternoon kicking yourself for not having done it.

Usually the autocross events wrap up by around 2 or 3 depending on how many cars are competing. From that point on, some of you may need to start heading home who are traveling, and some of you may be local. We can kind of play it by ear if you guys want to grab dinner out somewhere or something.

Mark, and Mae and I really wanted to put something fun together for our BMW 2002 friends, as well as other car lover friends in general, so please try and make it! We would love to see your beautiful shining faces. If you have any specific questions, please contact me by phone at 330 256-3440 or at bjbarbieri@yahoo.com or message me on facebook. Thanks alot! And see you this weekend!

BJ Barbieri

Here is a GPS recording of the AutoX walk through for the .8 mile course. Yes, the first big sweeping left turn goes in between the amusement park's mulch piles, and right at the low spot that is filled with water.. LOL Made the first run a bit more nervous, but it was fine after that!!

c6f6b7c1.jpg

And here are a few shots that Mark took with my camera. I had my way with them in PS and they're great! Good job Mark!

I ran rookie since it had been a couple years since I had participated in an event..

IMG_0392-1.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

You're welcome...it's the least I could do for the damage we inflicted on your tires....and I'm glad they didn't object to you having your way with them!

I guess those photography electives paid off...

Mark C.

'74 Tii Atlantik

'74 Golf (RIP)