• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEED A SOURCE For Touring Hatchback Struts

dp

Touring-istas:

Can anyone help me find new replacements for the tired old hydraulic struts on the liftgate/hatchback of my dear old touring? The broomhandle's getting embarrassin!

Thanks in advance for any replies, either here or privately!

Dale Phelps,

Northern Colorado

------------------------

why list 'em...they're all projects anyways!

Shucks, Autozone, Carquest. It's probably the same as a canopy strut. Bring one in and measure it. ALSO only buy one. I tried putting 2 new ones on my canopy and I could hang off of the window....

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Walloth & Nesch have them for 40.34 Euro each; that's around $58 each, but shipping may kill the deal. I got a pair when they were on offer from W & N a couple of years ago, I think it came to around $125 with shipping then.

If you are a BMWNA Car Club member, then your local dealership with the member discount may be the way to go. The dealership can get parts from Germany in a few days.

I did try a while back to find some generic ones (Pep Boys, Autozone) but failed. That Touring hatch is real heavy.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

if you insist not going to a BMW dealer?

and re-inventing the correct part?

then try a SAAB 99/900 (1975 - 1990ish) wagon back strut -

those hatches weigh a ton

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/hatch_strut/saab/900.html?utm_source=Bing+PPC&utm_medium=pf&utm_term=900+hatch+struts&utm_content=tc&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+BingPPC

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2431&mospid=47138&btnr=41_1166&hg=41&fg=60&hl=4

i just checked, and there are none in the us, germany has good supply. also, these gas springs do not fit any other bmw, dunno about any other car, so if someone out there has found a good sub, i would like to know. the cost of new gas springs is a lot less than a hatch on the head

Ken Inn

The companies that make these gas struts make them for many applications. If you know all the specifics- Open length, closed length, hole diameters, etc... - you could possibly save a few dollars.

In one bout of reverse engineering, I used the hood shock from my E30M3 to temporarily repair a centrifuge lid at one of my hospitals. When the OEM part came in a week later, except for the roundel, it was identical even with the manufactures marks.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes