• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Tire and Wheel Questions (nt)

Hi Folks,

I'm a new member of this forum and the new owner of a 1972 2002 (picture attached). I'm excited about the car and looking forward to participating in this forum.

The 2002 is a running project. It is going to be a hot rod driver/occasional track car. Unlike it's garage mate, a 1989 E30 M3, it has been so extensively modified that I don't worry about keeping it original; which, as you know, opens up all sorts of possibilities.

I don't have any history from the guy before the previous owner, who had most of the work on the car done. He seems to have done a good job with engine and basic suspension but his tire and wheel choices may be questionable. The car is shod with no-name spoked alloy wheels; I'm guessing 15x7 but don't really know. One is bent at the bead but holds air, one is slightly curb rashed. Alignment seems fine. The tires are newish Sumimoto HTR 200 195/50R15. There don't appear to be any spacers.

I'm experiencing some significant rubbing issues, just in the places where you'd expect those to occur (multiple passengers, cornering). I'm a little conflicted about what to do here. Spacers would seem to create an issue with the outer fenders but I'm not positive that is the case. I think I'm going to have the fenders rolled and add flares when I have the car painted next winter; that may resolve some issues. My options seem to be: 15"with spacers, 15" with spacers and flared fenders, 13" or 14" with new wheels (+flares). I'm currently leaning toward 13" Minilites or clones driven by weight considerations. My questions are:

1. Are there strong arguments for or against using 13" wheels? A lot of very nice cars pictured on this site seem to have them. I realize that some of this may be a "religious argument."

2. I don't see many cars with 14" wheels. What's the deal there? Lack of wheels in that size?

3. I'm considering spacers for the 15" wheels as a stop gap. Is that a reasonable solution?

Thanks!

Bill

post-20003-13667643754108_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

There are plenty of 14" wheels out there for '02's, including the majority of wheels from E30's, which fit perfectly. Some folks, including me, consider them the atheistically best wheels for '02's. The endless debate on best size wheel/tires is driven by the use of the car and owner preferences. The variety of sizes and brands of 13" tires is getting more restricted very year. Good luck.

Roger

'72 Malaga

RBenson685@aol.com

Main drawback with 13" wheels is a lack of good performance tires in a 185/70 or even 205/60 size--which are the two that will give you a correct speedo reading. Advantage: OEM size, looks "right" with the car.

Lot better selection of 14" tires in the proper size, and some good wheel choices: "is" BBSs from E30 cars, or even E30 steel wheels--with the small center caps and painted silver, they look like Alpina or Borrani steelies.

You have to be careful with 15" rims--as you've discovered, there can be clearance issues depending on wheel offset and tire width/height. Lots of folks run 'em with no rubbing issues, so the problem is solvable. Even better selection of performance tires.

Bottom line--do the fitment research for both wheel and tire, and then decide what you like.

cheers and welcome to the fraternity/sorority!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have the same dilema. My 02 has been lowered 2'' and is running adjustable camber plates/munts front and rear. Plus big discs/drums.

Fenders have been cut away and turbo flares fitted.

I want to use Rota RB's 8J rear and 7J front and want to get the arches filled out as much as posible. 13'' inch wheels will only fit with a spacer. But they have the best retro racer look. but tires are an issue.. Conversely 15'' are easy for tires but may rub and I don't want the big wheel 'street custom' look

Rotas come in +4 +15 +15 +35 offset.. Anyone know which would be the best fitment ?