• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sloppy tail light bulbs

esty

i recently read an old thread or 2 regarding lose bulb sockets on roundies...one of our cars has the affliction...it's all bulbs, in both lights...steve has tried about everything to tighten the bulbs in the sockets and still no gladness... just turning the lights off and on again is always a new combo of non working lights

You can try gently squeezing the sockets with pliers. After many years and miles, the sockets vibrate loose around the bulb base. The key here is to not over do it - just tight around the bulb so there is good contact. Also "di-electric" grease helps with making good contact - available at real auto parts stores. Hope this helps you out!

Best Regards

73tiijeff

You can try gently squeezing the sockets with pliers. After many years and miles, the sockets vibrate loose around the bulb base. The key here is to not over do it - just tight around the bulb so there is good contact. Also "di-electric" grease helps with making good contact - available at real auto parts stores. Hope this helps you out!

Best Regards

73tiijeff

this seems to be a somewhat common issue and not just with the our o2's...lot's of the same problem on all types of cars when searching google ...we did try the dielectric grease but it didn't help...the next step is to try and squeeze the fittings...i found that suggestion on a couple of other car make forums as well....thanks

Guest Anonymous

Be sure to use the silver colored base bulbs that have better connectivity than brass base bulbs

i recently read an old thread or 2 regarding lose bulb sockets on roundies...one of our cars has the affliction...it's all bulbs, in both lights...steve has tried about everything to tighten the bulbs in the sockets and still no gladness... just turning the lights off and on again is always a new combo of non working lights

The problem I found, with my "late" style, is with the 1/4" wide bent copper strip at the bottom. Over the years it seems to loose its spring. The bulb is a bayonet fitting that relies on the copper strip to push against the bottom of the bulb and keep it secure by holding the bayonet pins hard up against the slot in the holder.

Try easing (bending) the copper strip to give more pressure.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

The problem I found, with my "late" style, is with the 1/4" wide bent copper strip at the bottom. Over the years it seems to loose its spring. The bulb is a bayonet fitting that relies on the copper strip to push against the bottom of the bulb and keep it secure by holding the bayonet pins hard up against the slot in the holder.

Try easing (bending) the copper strip to give more pressure.

thanks les, that was the 1st try and fixing them...it didn't work on this car

I also had his problem. I drilled out the spring contact mounts and replaced the original contact backing strip with new live springy metal strip ACE hardware misc part. If you look closely you will notice the copper contact is backed by a steel spring material. This worked well, I replace the rivits with #4 screws I think. I can send pics if you wish to try this approach.

The real fix for sloppy pin receiver in housing is to brighten up the area with 0000 steel wool, apply a acid etch paste, heat carefully and apply a build up of solder. This was no fun but solved a worn out pin slot perfectly, I did have to insert and reinsert buld a few dozen times for right fit.

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

Actually, there are 2 pieces of metal as teh bulb contact-

I think the outer one's supposed to act as the spring.

It CAN be carefully tightened, but it does like to snap off,

then... things are worse...

And I have some very finely- stranded copper wire kicking around

from something or other I did-

I just take a bit of that, wind it up nice and tight, and jam it into the

socket. Sleazy, but it works.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL