• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where Do Dealerships Get These Kids?

It's like when you go to the parts counter and the guy asks for the model, and you say 2002. And he replies not the year whats the model, and you have to explain that 2002 was the model.

I got into an argument over my car with the BMW parts counter guy. I told him 1971 2002, here's my VIN. We went back and forth about whether it was my VIN or my license plate number until he told me he'd come out and look at the VIN himself. And all the while, he treated me like I'm the jerk, even though I told him it's an old car, etc etc.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind

..."i was almost sexually violated by the sales

force before I could fight and hack my way

to the parts counter. I said to the

parts guy "I made it!"

i hope it was a "sales lady " that sexed you up?

we leave the sex out in the parking lot -

behind the line of Certified Pre-Owned cars !

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Here in Cincy the BMW Store understands the lineage. On their billboard they have a verona roundie these days. My co-workers ask me if it is my car.

They will have an 02 parked in the showroom every now and again as well. A NICE one.

But I've had the same vin trauma at the parts counter. "I know it doesn't have 27 numbers and letters, but seriously, that is my car's vin number". "Um. No it isn't, sir."

I also remember being in college (this was the '80s), roadtripping across Ohio in my friend's '76 02, and experiencing a minor breakdown in a little town in the middle of nowhere. The guy at the little gas station / shop was like "it's a Bee M WHAT?!?!" Never even had heard of BMW.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

My vin comes up as a 318.

on a happier note, i ordered the last spindle nut in canada from my local dealer and they shipped it in from Vancouver ( I'm in Ontario ) . I went to pick it up in the 740 and pulled up out front with a couple of hopefuls looking at me as i arrived. Got out ( in my work clothes) and the visual disappointment on their faces was really quite amusing . I gave them a friendly smile and proceeded to the parts counter for my $7 nut. i asked the parts guy if my purchase was the lowest he'd ever seen and he laughed and said, " yes, by a long way".

Nick

-'65 Riviera

-'66 Chevelle

-'72 '02 project

-'90 GTR missile

-'90 Corrado-422HP @ 22lb.

-'92 Duke 851

-'75 Z-1 Kawi

It's like when you go to the parts counter and the guy asks for the model, and you say 2002. And he replies not the year whats the model, and you have to explain that 2002 was the model.
So funny. Can't tell you how may times the conversation goes:

Me: "It's a 1974 BMW 2002"

Parts Guy: "You said it's a 2002 BMW right? What model?"

Me: No it's a 1974 BMW, the model is a 2002"

Parts Guy has confused look on his face: "What?"

Me: The year of the car is 1974. My car is no longer made but just like there's a BMW 330, the model of my car is a 2002.

Parts Guy: "Oh I see it in my system now"

Last year I ran into a guy at a hand car wash place in Los Angeles and he was driving a bathtub Porsche. Mint, beautiful car. I started talking to him about the different Porsche series (SC's, 3.2 Carrera's, 964's, 993's, 996's, etc). He had no idea what i was talking about.

PREVIOUS:

1979 Jeep Cherokee

1980 VW Scirocco

1983 Porsche 944

1986 BMW 325i

1999 VW GTI VR6

2000 BMW 323

2000 Porsche Boxster

2001 BMW X5

2003 Porsche 911

2003 Mini Cooper S

2005 BMW Z4

1974 BMW 2002

Current:

1995 BMW M3

2003 Infiniti FX35

I got into an argument over my car with the BMW parts counter guy. I told him 1971 2002, here's my VIN. We went back and forth about whether it was my VIN or my license plate number until he told me he'd come out and look at the VIN himself. And all the while, he treated me like I'm the jerk, even though I told him it's an old car, etc etc.

What was his response when he saw your car? Did he have a moment of clarity or remain in his state of arrogant stupidity?

PREVIOUS:

1979 Jeep Cherokee

1980 VW Scirocco

1983 Porsche 944

1986 BMW 325i

1999 VW GTI VR6

2000 BMW 323

2000 Porsche Boxster

2001 BMW X5

2003 Porsche 911

2003 Mini Cooper S

2005 BMW Z4

1974 BMW 2002

Current:

1995 BMW M3

2003 Infiniti FX35

It's a no win situation. You end up stating your year and model slowly and they think you are treating them like idiots, even though it helps them process it.

" It's a 1972 BMW model 2002 "

Nick

-'65 Riviera

-'66 Chevelle

-'72 '02 project

-'90 GTR missile

-'90 Corrado-422HP @ 22lb.

-'92 Duke 851

-'75 Z-1 Kawi

Yeah - I think these things happen to everyone.

When I show up "like normal" - ie T-shirt, shorts, grubby looking - I don't get much service.

When I go from work - ie "dresed up" - everyone helps me.

The difference is when I bought the E46. Showed up in t-shirt, flip flops and shorts. Wanted to test drive the car. The salesman said "I'm pretty busy, here are the keys - be careful". Seriously. I think he made a photocopy of my driver's license before I left. But that was it.

Fun stuff.

Last time I went to the parts counter was when I ordered the BMW coco-mats. The guy said - "What model?". I said "2002", he said "No - what model". I said "It's a 1973 2002". He looked confused for a second and said "OOOOHHH - it's one of those!"....

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Guest Anonymous

How is this any different than not knowing a spark plug's socket size? If you do not remove or install spark plugs, not much incentive to learn and it becomes game show fodder.

Most probably do not know the name "Dixie" or the various "W" designations used by MB, the difference between the A,B and C 365's, Model T, A and B Fords or a Royal and an Underwood. If you don't sell them, collect them, work on them, or despise them for taking your parking space, the information is irrelevant and there is not a particularly strong case for learning this.

I went in once to the parts counter after school in work clothes to get parts for a 320i and they damn near didn't acknowledge me... Luckily I havent had to try to buy parts for my 2002 yet.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

How is this any different than not knowing a spark plug's socket size? If you do not remove or install spark plugs, not much incentive to learn and it becomes game show fodder.

Most probably do not know the name "Dixie" or the various "W" designations used by MB, the difference between the A,B and C 365's, Model T, A and B Fords or a Royal and an Underwood. If you don't sell them, collect them, work on them, or despise them for taking your parking space, the information is irrelevant and there is not a particularly strong case for learning this.

Sure there is. The BMW is an enthusiast's car, or should be. If I sold them I would have at least a passing knowledge of the history of the marque. How long could it take to learn the basics, an hour?

1970 Nevada 2002 Survivor

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii

I was trying to get a windshield for mine the other day and I had to explain "2002" to the guy about three times!