• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OK... I know this has been discussed many, many times.

02for2

Tried using search, but it doesn't like me. Each time I either get error msgs., or the screen just rolls back to the inquiry screen, or it just gives me 1 page of results (while indicating many more) and when I select pg.#2, it just rolls back to the inquiry page.

So, search is out. Forgive me in advance for asking about what is surely an oft asked and discussed question.

Have access to a tii head (free). Is this a good upgrade to my stock M10 motor? Have a 32/36, Crane and tii manifold (only mods).

Not certain, but believe all '76s (mine is Auto) came with a 121 head?

Do I need a piston swap for this? Does it use stock valves? What else would I need to convert to use this head? Is it worth it in the end?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

In my opinion, not worth it. Tii and standard head use the same valves and cam. So you would be better off upgrading your existing head.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

76's came with e12 or late one with e21 2.0 head and mostly flat tops pistons.

There is nothing particular to a Tii head, if its just the fuel pump rod hole that is not drilled.

fwiw, a Tii sourced part doesnt mean automaticaly an upgrade or a performance item. It isnt made of gold.

If you realy want to upgrade your stock 76' motor, assuming its original (flat tops) get a 121 head, you will get a litle bit more compression ratio than with a E12 or E21 2.0.

hth

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

Yeah but free is good anyway.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

...... and any "FREE" head is suspect

-Tiny cracking you bearly see?

-Warped beyond machining tolerances

stay with, and have your present head tested, resurfaced

with the upper timing cover screwed on,

valve springs replaced, reface the valves and seats,

measure valve-to-guide wobble tolerance, replace guides

if needed, replace valve seals.

maybe the "free" head is ok after all the above repairs - then sell it to pay for your orig. head reman -

or keep it for a 'spare' for your car in 20 years when you'll need one

Smile

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"