• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone seen this car in person?

MN2002

The brain trust in this forum is formidable, and the collective analysis of things that fall short of a correct restoration with the car is a tremendous value to anyone considering paying the asking price. For $20k it should be just about flawless, particularly the way the seller is representing it as a "beautiful cosmetic restoration" proffered by "A Family Tradition for Over 40 Years,Selling Classic and Fine Motorcars Throughout the World" from within a showroom of other high-dollar classics.

But "I could look the other way for $5k" and "I value it at $6K or $7k?" Really? I think that most of us who saw this car advertised in that range would get a wrist injury trying to whip out the cash, and someone fortunate enough to pay that that would correct the instrument cluster and then post to this forum and receive jealous drop-jawed admiration from nearly everyone.

As my father-in-law used to say, "I'm just sayin'."

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

The brain trust in this forum is formidable, and the collective analysis of things that fall short of a correct restoration with the car is a tremendous value to anyone considering paying the asking price. For $20k it should be just about flawless, particularly the way the seller is representing it as a "beautiful cosmetic restoration" proffered by "A Family Tradition for Over 40 Years,Selling Classic and Fine Motorcars Throughout the World" from within a showroom of other high-dollar classics.

But "I could look the other way for $5k" and "I value it at $6K or $7k?" Really? I think that most of us who saw this car advertised in that range would get a wrist injury trying to whip out the cash, and someone fortunate enough to pay that that would correct the instrument cluster and then post to this forum and receive jealous drop-jawed admiration from nearly everyone.

As my father-in-law used to say, "I'm just sayin'."

I second that. Certainly not to the perfection level of a $20,000 car but with some minor tweaking it could be a nice car.

www.VintageAutobahn.com - BMW Parts & Vehicle Import

Minor tweaking?

You'd have another 10K into it before it was worth anything close to the asking price. And that's just from what we can see from pictures.

You'd be lucky to get the headlights to aim correctly with all the boogering in the front end. Pointing out missing parts from here in my living room is one thing but unloading that car in my driveway after paying big dollars is another.

But I suppose you never know. Look at what Paul is cobbling together.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Thanks for the insights. I agree that for near $20,000 the car should be in the major areas close to great or excellent shape. If the dollars are spent on substantive things...engine, drive train, suspension etc... and those are done well, I can overlook some cosmetics. But there are some weird things about this car.

cmp

Something is wrong with the front bumper (I think it has 73 brackets), as far the price... well that is kind of subjective in a way, as subjective as liking that hideous color... oooops did I say that about taiga?

FAQ Member # 91

Minor tweaking?

You'd have another 10K into it before it was worth anything close to the asking price. And that's just from what we can see from pictures.

You'd be lucky to get the headlights to aim correctly with all the boogering in the front end. Pointing out missing parts from here in my living room is one thing but unloading that car in my driveway after paying big dollars is another.

But I suppose you never know. Look at what Paul is cobbling together.

John

I agree that there is a lot of work to do and that it is way overpriced, only thing i argued was that it is worth much more than "5 or 6 thousand".

www.VintageAutobahn.com - BMW Parts & Vehicle Import

Back when this car was for sale in Maryland, I saw it on the web and thought about looking at it in person - then Clay did my homework for me.

It looks like a nice car for someone who wants a driver and for showing off at cars & coffee meetings - if everything checks out. I see the stock wheels are in the trunk - that is a plus to me.

tii clock in dash +

chrome hinges on seats +

taiga color +

Rota wheels and most likely new tires +

Is it worth $ 20K? Not to me.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Something is wrong with the front bumper (I think it has 73 brackets), as far the price... well that is kind of subjective in a way, as subjective as liking that hideous color... oooops did I say that about taiga?

Opinions are like assholes...everyone has one. My daughter's Taiga gets more complements than any car I have seen....in car crazy so cal where lambos, ferraris, and every exotic are a dime a dozen.

<p>69 (M2 Project-stalled); 72tii (a) Taiga/ m42 swap in process;91 E30 vert; 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS; 65 Mustang fastback 500hp+ resto mod in process ;72 Porsche 911s project; 70 2002 M2 2.5L getting closer

But... I have more than one (opinion)

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)