• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ready to give up and buy a 128i, what would you do ?

york

Guest Anonymous

on my 328xi i run a second set of tires/wheels for the summer

sumitomo somethings that are sticky and performance oriented

i then added the jack and flat repair kit that comes standard on the current M3, as it has no spare and does not run on run-flats

i use the runflats as winter tires, and i also have AAA for the unplanned emergency

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

loaded up with options ? thats whats screwing up BMW and caused all of

us to loved the 2002's

I only wanted a 128i striped of options because it be more 2002 like

Don't just drive around in a 02, drive a 02 around North America

Go to the dealer, find a 1 series, then climb on in the back seat. Notice the headroom? Probably not an issue if you are 4'6" tall.

My wife was waiting for the 1 series to come out. Went to see it at the auto show, then at the dealer when we could actually touch the car. I noticed the headroom right away. Wasn't going to be a fun ride for our son who was 5'10" at the time. We went around the corner to the MINI dealer. A week later, she had a new Cooper S Clubman on order.

Fast forward 48000 miles this past weekend. Our warranty expired. She commented that her MINI was the best purchase ever. She still loves her car and it gets looks and smiles wherever she goes. Our son is now 6' tall and can sit in the back seat comfortably.

I did ditch the run-flats and ponied up the money for a space-saver spare wheel and tire. The Clubman has a usable boot and has a space for a spare. My only regret is that I didn't plan a car control clinic prior to the tire swap so I could go cord those run flats.

BTW: hold a couple of grand out of your funds. You just know a perfect 02 will fall in your lap as soon as you make a purchase.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

spare were the 128i has half the trunk space of a 2002

why compare the two ? read my original post please

can not find a white 2002 Tii 1972-73 blue int, sunroof

and not modified

It really depends on the climate you live in and whether you are going to drive it year round as a daily. 2002s always will need something, you are shopping for a 39 year old car. Finding an unmodified car that needs nothing is next to impossible.

I know your frustration, I was looking for a '73tii, Malaga/Tan with sunroof. Seemed everything for sale in the condition I wanted was Inka/Black, Fjord/Blue or Chaminox/Blue or Black. I Expanded my color options and 'settled' for a '73tii Verona/Tan with sunroof and a 5-speed named Vern. So glad I did.

The reality of owning, fixing and driving an 02 is something a new car cannot compete with.

Let condition be a deal breaker. There are a lot of good 02s out there.

Test drove a 135i twin turbo, damn quick and faster than my E36 M3.

In the end do what makes you happy.

Andrew Wilson

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I see Joe posted a pic of the 1 series hatchback. Had that been on the BMW lot when we looked, there may have been a good chance of my wife not getting her MINI. The notchback 1 was just too close to being a roadster, and there are plenty of other vintage roadsters I'd rather dive into.

Buy what makes you happy. If it's a pink MaryKay Caddy, then so be it. It's your car.

Oh, and anything can be a daily driver. My past daily drivers (meaning 5 days commuting and weekend use) : 1974 Alfa Berlina, 1971 2002, 1982 Colnago Super, 1988 M3, 1972 2002tii. Each had it's limitations and benefits. You just need to be realistic in what you expect.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

modern bmws look like kias look like hyoondais.

old cars have their problems, too.

e30's are probably the best compromise.

if you want to work on it, especially.

2002s are awfully fragile compared to an accord post '91

e36 and later are a maintenance knight- mare. ask the man who owns one.

the 1 series is like a 2002 like i am a tree sloth- we both have 4 appendages

and sit around alot. but that's about it. well, maybe the smell...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

e36 and later are a maintenance knight- mare. ask the man who owns one.

t

Toby, I thought I would never read something from you that I disagreed with, but...the only thing my 17 year old E36 has needed was a AC compressor, and that was caused by road debris taking out a hose.

Now I've done it...

run-flats save lives in NewYork!

do you like jacking up a car on the FDR or LIE at 2am in the winter ?

order a new FIAT 500 / ABARTH or wait for the X1

this is my next " 02 "

HAPPY HUNTING

testuser5_mar2009_01_fiat_jp050309_Fs6Rny_0T28U7.jpg

Just a heads up c.d. - wait till the second year model of the Abarth. I know they have been out in Europe and what not, but from the garbage I've seen come off the line from Chyrsler (Fiat), you'll want to wait for the first year teething problems to get worked out. I've heard horror stories from a tech at the new Fiat dealer on the other side of the bay, and they've had cars coming off the truck already effed up.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind

As some said, the e30 is the perfect middle between the vintage BMW's and the modern ones. I drove my e30 Touring for 180.000km without any major issues i.e. breakdowns.

But if you have to choose just between the 2002 and the 1-series, take the 1-series especially when you use ist as daily driver and longrange car.

Remember if you buy a new 1-series for $30k the car will depreciate to $0.00 in twenty years. The 02 will either remain at the price you paid or appreciate in value (assuming the condition remains good). My advice would be to continue looking for an 02.

Personaly I think the 1-series is overpriced. I would get an e90 335xi used for 30 grand...or wait a few years and pick up a 2011 550i with the 400 hp V8 and 6-speed manual transmission!

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

overpriced or not the 128i in striped (no packages) is the closest

to the 2002's, the 335Xi and 550i have too much luxury and not enought sport, those cars are fast sure, but I want a 2002 because the modern BMW's are complicated and over weight .