• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie. 1967 1600 4dr(Turns out: Oct 1965)

savvy

Greetings,

After a number of years without an early BMW (previously '70 2002, '73 2002 and '74 2002tii) I just acquired, via bartering, a 1965 1600 4 door with 113K miles on the clock. There is a 2nd engine under the hood with the original engine on a palate. It is blue, straight, clean with two minor rust spots in the center of the passenger door. It had been sitting in a garage on flat tires since 1985 (last registration tag).

Prior to pulling it out of the garage, anew battery was installed (interstate 19 6v), engine oil was drained and replaced with castrol 20/50 + 1 cup marvel mystery oil, new oil filter, new coolant, fresh gas,new plugs, coil,and cap.

After a little coaxing, she started......purred like a kitty.

Immediate needs: replacement of all rubber hoses, rebuild hydraulic clutch cylinder (no pressure, no fluid), rebuilt brake cylinder (no pressure, no fluid)

Can anyone recommend proper seat belts (both front and rear as none are present).

It looks like it had a radio as there is a speaker under the dash, but no head unit. (this vintage probably had either a Blaupunkt Frankfurt or Becker Europa or Mexico, I think).......any recommendations?

New Michelin tires, new rotors,pads, drums and shoes plug wires, condenser, rotor, window and door seals, and trunk seal........

should make it comfortable to drive good to drive.

The original engine might be rebuilt over time.

Any good vintage part houses that you recommend?

Can you recommend a good indy garage in the SF east bay? (or are H&B, Beck's and Moran still the one's).

Can't wait to start shifting those gears and smelling that sweet familiar German interior again.

Cheers!

Savvy

'65 BMW 1600 4dr-not quite road worthy, but closer

'34 Ford Fordor Deluxe Sedan-currently being rehabbed

'03 Acura TL

'92 Toyota Land Cruiser

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I/we can help you up in Petaluma at Casey MotorSports. Among other things I happen to be the moderator of this NK section of the 2002FAQ and know NK's rather well.

The traditional "old guard" shops in the East Bay are not as equipped to handle NKs as they used to be. It takes not only someone with the knowledge of the cars but connections in the parts world outside the normal wholesaler and dealer networks; along with enough enthusiasm for the old cars to track those parts down. Even with that I still end up having the owner track some things down as well.

Another very good forum is the NK section of the 02Forum in the UK. There are parts houses in Europe that are way beyond what we have here in the US, and the guys on that forum know them all.

http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=13&sid=1c6a2fc48caa489d8fa22ead566f6fd2

One good source for NOS stuff in the US is Carl Nelson of La Jolla Independent BMW Service. He's one source that we turn to for knowledge and NOS parts.

http://www.bimmerdoc.com/

We helped Todd (harper) with a few things last summer, like resuscitating the 6V system, lights etc. a tune on the solexes among a few other things. I'd be happy to help you recommission your "new" 1600-4 for the street or as far as you would like to go with it. Here's a picture of his 1800Ti at the SoCal Vintage BMW Meet last October. He had a successful road trip down to Van Nuys and back.

5112841359_748a21c141_o.jpg

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Come on Tom...where's the picture of my old 1800 mit roof rack.

Norm

DSCN1979.jpg

Tom Jones

66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i

Do the non headrest seats recline like that?

Why yes, yes they do... :)

Tom Jones

Pick up the car today!!

Had AAA tow drag it out of it's resting place the last 26 years. Had it placed on a flatbed and taken from San Francisco to my home in Berkeley.

If I figure out how to post pictures, I will post them.

Once I got it in the sunlight I could see a few issues that I had not noticed before.

* The rubber boots on both the left and right rear axles are completely separated. Where can I get new ones? How are they replaced (my Autopress LTD Workshop Manual doesn't seem to cover this).

* Though the headlights, high beams, blinkers and dome light works, the horn, heater fan, gas gauge and clock does not. The fuses looked fine, though I replaced them and still not working. Any ideas?

Also the previous owner (82 years old) previously mentioned that the car was a 1967. Today he was sure it was a 1965. He has not been able to find either the original pink slip or the last registration certificate. All I have to go by is the vehicle ID # 937209 and the original California license plate 309 GUL. Any help with determining the year of the car would be appreciated.

So now the list of repairs before I can take it out on the road are as follows:

* Replace rubber fuel line at the carb.

* Replace rubber breather hose

* Replace rubber vacuum hose

* Replace radiator hoses

* Replace brake master cylinder, brake hoses, rotors, pads, drums, shoes.

* Clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder

* Rubber axle boots

Any comments are much appreciated.

Cheers!!

Cheers!

Savvy

'03 Acura TL

'92 Toyota Land Cruiser

To determine your build date, factory colour and export details email your VIN to Andreas at BMW:

Old horns often pack up - fact of life! Might be coaxed into life just through trying - and yes, I'm talking about the claxon in your car, not your trousers, although the same may apply.

Old clocks are usually broken.

Old fuel gauges are often stuck/faulty - try pulling the whole sender unit from the top of the tank and see if it's OK - details on this have been covered loads and are the same for an 02, just search.

Sounds like you have the early half shafts with the oil filled plastic boot on the outside - available new from BMW (so Blunt or Maximillian I guess??). Again, do a search as there's a thread detailing how to get this impossible looking thing over the end of your sliding joint.

Good luck, and please post some pics! Just hit browse below, find the picture on your computer and hit 'add attachment' and wait.

Good luck, Nick

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Thanks Nick!

Here are some pics....I hope. Not great quality, but you get the idea.

Cheers!

Savvy

'03 Acura TL

'92 Toyota Land Cruiser

Excellent - looks like another good survivor. Didn't know they sold the 1600 in the states. Is it the original engine? The cam cover's been changed at the least (should be smooth), but apart from that looks very original, 6 volt and all.

Very similar to mine, which I bought last year after it had also sat for 20 years, in a Paris underground garage.

http://www.m2bmw.com/derbyNK.htm

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

That looks very original, except for the valve cover as Nick points out. But of course you said that was a replacement engine, so that explains it.

Do email Andreas about the construction date and delivery location. It might be a European spec vehicle.

What color is that? Looks like Turf, but not quite...

I'm trying to make out some details in the photos but they are out of focus. If at some point you can take some of the engine compartment that are sharp, that would be great. Mine is a '66 (built December 65)

I'd be curious to see what the trunk looks like since the question of trim back there has come up.

I see what appears like a widespread grease/oil stain around the driver's footwell. Maybe you've had brake fluid come through a defective brake booster. I am knee deep in brake booster learning about now so I may be able to help you with that.

More pics!

Luis