• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter linkage rubbing drive shaft

MarkS

Your shift tower mount bushings are worn out. This will cause the shifter to sag and hit the driveshaft. The mounts are cheap and installation is not that difficult. I did this a few months ago and it made a world of difference.

Autohaus AZ has the bushings for $8 each.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=sahzys45jsb5me45rrmclxyv&makeid=800003@BMW&modelid=1010822@2002&year=1976&cid=33@Transmission/Transaxle%20System&gid=11084@Shift%20Tower%20Mount

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

Sweet, thanks David.

Can you describe the fix? Did you have the car on a lift? Not much room down there on ramps.

I had the front on ramps and the rear on jack stands when I did it. Im 6 foot 5 and like 300lbs so I barely fit under there!

Here is a good write up with photos! Good luck!

http://www.cyclopticgaze.com/2002/17shift_mount.html

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

It also could be as simple as the nut and bolt on the brace piece at the back of the shift platform is loose. It takes 30 seconds to push the shift platform up against the inside of the tunnel and tighten the nut and bolt.

While it is loose, though, you can grab the back of the shift platform and try to wiggle it from side to side. If there are oodles of play, the previous poster was correct -- either the bushings are bad or the allen bolts holding them in have backed out (I've had this happen). If, however, there's very little play wiggling it from side to side, just push it up and tighten the nut and bolt at the rear and it'll probably be fine.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

this is crazy - i'm in the middle of this exact job myself. Got the parts last fall, and didn't get around to it before Betty went into storage.

The write up that was linked earlier is a great resource - that should be cut & pasted and made a permanent FAQ here on this board. I also found this article to be very helpful:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,316646/

It took me most of the day to get the bolts off my old guibo - mainly because I had to run to Harbor Freight twice to get the right tools. You'll want a 17mm box end, and I got a 17mm S curve wrench that has been a godsend. Someone mentioned that a thin wall socket might help with this job - I could see that, as well as maybe one of those "ratcheting" open end wrenches might be useful.

I got in there, and the two posts that hold the platform are completely rotted out, which explains the flippy floppyness of my shifter. Hoping to have the job done tomorrow though.

Good luck!

Matt

I needed a car, and a hobby....

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 7 years later...

Those folks changing the (2) tower mounts should make sure to use some threadlocker on the bolts - especially the left bolt since it passes thru the gear casing into the housing.  I believe jimk has pointed this out in numerous posts.

Also - AKG Motorsports sells aluminum/delrin shift tower support blocks that replace the factory pieces. I have these in my 4 speed transmission (from the 69) and there is hardly ANY flex to the shift tower.  

https://www.akgmotorsport.com/product/shifter-support-bracket-set-2002/

Jim

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On 3/13/2011 at 9:01 AM, thehackmechanic said:

It also could be as simple as the nut and bolt on the brace piece at the back of the shift platform is loose. It takes 30 seconds to push the shift platform up against the inside of the tunnel and tighten the nut and bolt.

While it is loose, though, you can grab the back of the shift platform and try to wiggle it from side to side. If there are oodles of play, the previous poster was correct -- either the bushings are bad or the allen bolts holding them in have backed out (I've had this happen). If, however, there's very little play wiggling it from side to side, just push it up and tighten the nut and bolt at the rear and it'll probably be fine.

I had the same exact scenario last week.  It was the nut and bolt that hold the brace piece. GL

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im