• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

19mm Swaybar Choices?

I did some searching on mild swaybar upgrades and saw that Hardy & Beck offered a 19mm front and rear kit back in "the day" - Does anyone offer a similar setup now?

I'd like to upgrade the stock bars on my 68 when I switch to HDs (and possibly IE stage 1 springs) but I'm not looking for a fluorescent cow catcher 22mm bar.

What are the pros/cons to seeking out a 19mm front and leaving the back bar stock (15mm?)

And BTW, it is very hard to run a FAQ search that contains numbers, I tried.

--> 1968 2002 <--

Don't feel bad about the search, doesn't work well when I try, too.

The 19mm front bar will make the front flatter in a turn, if that makes sense. The larger rear bar will make the rear flatter in a turn. The car will seem more stable in turns and hard braking. You will want wider tires.

Understeer is straight off, with the front plowing. Oversteer is when the rear end wants to get loose. A larger front bar will decrease understeer. A larger rear bar will increase oversteer. The trick is to balance the two and not overly compromise suspension compliance.

I should have let you drive the green ti sometime. It runs on HDs, stock springs, and 19mm front, 17mm rear.

I might have an extra 17mm rear bar hanging around.

vince

A larger front bar will decrease understeer. A larger rear bar will increase oversteer. .

vince

not correct...guessing you just had a typo. :-)

larger front bar INCREASES understeer. a stiffer bar at either end increases weight transfer to the outside tire, decreasing the traction available at that end of the car, increasing its tendency to slide. usually. there are so many variables in suspension design and tuning that no one statement can be absolute. it is all relative!

2xM3

A larger front bar will decrease understeer. A larger rear bar will increase oversteer. .

vince

not correct...guessing you just had a typo. :-)

larger front bar INCREASES understeer. a stiffer bar at either end increases weight transfer to the outside tire, decreasing the traction available at that end of the car, increasing its tendency to slide. usually. there are so many variables in suspension design and tuning that no one statement can be absolute. it is all relative!

I'm running HD's with lower springs on my '73. I picked up a 22mm front bar. Do you see any issues with using that with the stock rear bar - street driving only? TIA

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Ben, I'd try the springs and the stock 02 bars. When I got my 318is I asked what sway bars to get? Everyone said leave them stock and get springs. I tried it and it works very nice. Now I know e30's aren't the same as 02's but it might be worth a try.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I've had 19 mm bars front and rear on my '73 for some years--I know I should have a larger front bar, but what I've done is used urethane mounts and end link bushings on the front, and rubber on the rear. This at least partially makes up for the larger than normal rear bar. It has been working quite well that way.

I have a new 22 mm front bar for my 73, so the old 19mm bar will go on the '69, along with its stock rear bar.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite